Stream iTunes from mac to IPAD

Discussion in 'iPad' started by frankandsteph, Dec 2, 2010.

1. frankandsteph macrumors newbie

So what apps are people using to stream itunes from thier mac to the ipad via wifi? I will not really need to do this over the internet, just over my wifi at home.

thanks,
    frank

2. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Zumocast
    Works really well. It'll stream movies and docs too. You can also stream over the Internet as long as your mac is on

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Zumocast. One of the best apps for getting media from the computer to iPad.

4. fpnc macrumors 68000

You can use Mac OS X's built-in Web Sharing to stream iPad-compatible video to any iOS device. Here are some of the details:

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/answers/stream_videos_and_music_from_your_mac_to_your_iphone_or_ipad/

This won't transcode video from non-compatible formats but it works very well and its free and it doesn't require you to run any third-party apps or extension on either your iPad or Mac.

If you need to transcode video (i.e. stream video that isn't in a native, iOS compatible format) then there are a lot of apps/utilities to chose from. I'd suggest that you try StreamToMe, Air Video, or Plex.

Although Zumocast gets a lot of recommendations I won't use that app because it requires you to register with Zumocast and use the Zumocast website. Frankly, that kind of worries me. Before you use Zumocast you should read their privacy policy ( http://www.zumocast.com/privacy ). They seem to be pretty upfront on what they collect from and share about their users. But, of course, you need to trust them at what they are saying.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I just re-read the privacy policy, and a couple things came into mind. How can they collect credit card info from you when they don't ask for it? I understand IP address and stuff, but credit card and email contacts I don't understand, since it can't have access to those things since they don't ask for it...Now it kinda worries me.

6. frankandsteph thread starter macrumors newbie

How about just music? I want to be able to access iTunes on my Mac on my iPad ithe kitchen?

7. fpnc macrumors 68000

If you don't give that information they can't collect it. However, it does seem that they gather all of the information about your media library and what you share with others (or what others share with you). Understandably, they have to get something from you in order to support the free version of their service. The thing that worries me more about Zumocast is that they install software on your Mac/PC that basically opens a port on your computer that can be accessed over the internet. Let's just hope that they do this in a secure manner (shouldn't be THAT difficult) and I hope the information that they gather is limited only to what they detail in their privacy policy.

8. fpnc macrumors 68000

StreamToMe supports music and audio playlists. In fact, I'm pretty sure they offered this before it was available on Air Video. Web Sharing also works with audio files and stuff like PDFs. However, it (Web Sharing) does not support playlists or continuous playback -- only one song at a time -- which pretty much makes it useless for audio purposes.

9. appsmonkey macrumors newbie

Just register with Zumocast, it's the best by far. It supports audio playlists so you can stream from the kitchen. Keep in mind, this is only for non-DRM content. With Zumocast, you'll be able to access your entire computer from literally anywhere--at work, at your friend's place, anywhere with a browser. You log into their website and you can view, upload, and download any files you have stored in there. It circumvents iTunes altogether, not to mention the headache of video conversion. And it's FREE.

10. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

To my knowledge, they intend to offer a premium package which you can pay for, I'd imagine they've just had their lawyers do their privacy policy including the things that are soon to come.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Any software that will allow you to access content on a home computer from outside of your LAN will require the same sort of port forwarding, either manually or via UPnP.

Zumocast takes things a step further by giving you access not just from specific devices, but from any web browser. It is striving to turn your computer into not just a personal media server, but a personal cloud service. Of course there are security issues in a service like this, as there are with storing files on Dropbox or Google Docs, or using an email service like Yahoo or Hotmail. As always, it's convenience vs. security.

12. miklovo macrumors member

So just for clarification sake (and because I haven't gone on a field trip to try it out yet). Let's say I am sitting in Starbucks or the airport (both obviously have free wifi) I can open Zumocast App and stream video and audio from my MacBook Pro at home just like I was sitting in my living room?

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Plex also streams iTunes very nicely from your Mac to your iDevice.

14. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Oh yeah, that makes sense.

I figured that as long as we didn't provide the information, that they aren't able to take it.

15. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yes, exactly. Of course the host computer needs to be turned on with the Zumocast helper program running.

16. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah u could be across the street or across the world and be listening to your content.

17. miklovo macrumors member

Good stuff....makes me wish I spring for 3G now....:) ...oh well I guess that gives me an excuse for the wifey when it comes time to upgrade to the 2G iPad:D

18. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Looks like Zumocast is not accepting any new users at this time.

19. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I'm not sure why Airfoil wasn't mentioned but that would seem to do what you want. I don't have an iPad but I use it to stream music to my Airport Express and I have also sent music to my iPhone with it.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

20. totalbar macrumors newbie

21. sap12690 macrumors 6502

So can i stream to my ipad wiht PLEX from long distances? on wifi or 3G?

22. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

Yes, though their remote access setup isn't as simple as Zumocast or AirVideo. Basically, you need to set up a static IP on whatever computer you have the Plex Media Server on. Their wiki page lays the steps out clearly.

23. msbsound, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

msbsound macrumors regular

As this(Zumocast) sounded appealing to me for streaming some music at work, I dug around a bit.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/11/01/12/now.motorola.owned.app.should.return.soon/

it appears the company was bought by Motorola some time back which is why the app has been pulled. Article says(posted Jan 12th, 2011) they hope ot have the app back up for download "within a couple months" and that it will not be going Andriod only.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

24. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Yes and you can view your documents too.