Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avillabon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Is there any way to stream the contents of my itunes library to my iPad? When i say stream i dont mean over the internet but just over my wifi network.. My music and video collection is quite extensive and i dont want to be syncing different content all the time if there is a way for me to acces it.

The reason i ask is because i just download the "remote" app from apple where i can control the itunes of my computer but i cant get the content to play on my ipad... just wondering :)

thanks

alex

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
OFF TOPIC:

I don't have the answer to that.

The reason I'm posting is I thought i'd make the suggestion to use iMatch as this forever freed me of this sort of thing, when I found myself continioulsy asking questions like this.

I play music and watch videos, and never, ever, have to think of where the hell they come form. As a matter of fact, I have pushed it all so far out of my mind I don't know where anything is. I do see the little cloud icon, so I guess that's where, right?, something in the sky? :D

Anyways, You might want to look into that (payed) service.

avillabon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
OFF TOPIC:

I don't have the answer to that.

The reason I'm posting is I thought i'd make the suggestion to use iMatch as this forever freed me of this sort of thing, when I found myself continioulsy asking questions like this.

I play music and watch videos, and never, ever, have to think of where the hell they come form. As a matter of fact, I have pushed it all so far out of my mind I don't know where anything is. I do see the little cloud icon, so I guess that's where, right?, something in the sky? :D

Anyways, You might want to look into that (payed) service.

It's tempting indeed :) But since I work from home I hope I can just stream it over my wireless network. Thanks for the advice though!

Alex

zepman

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Sweden
Yes, via Home Sharing.

Music app -> More -> Shared

The computer and the iOS-device have to be on the same network and iTunes must be running.

avillabon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Yes, via Home Sharing.

Music app -> More -> Shared

The computer and the iOS-device have to be on the same network and iTunes must be running.

AWESOME!

I got movies and music to work!!.. However, i cant find where to play podcast episodes. Is this not available?

Thanks a bunch!

Alex

EDIT: I just opened movies again and now the "shared" tab is gone!! Not sure what to do.

EDIT 2: Lol! Now music isnt working either... It was working not 2 mins ago. Ideas?

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
AWESOME!

I got movies and music to work!!.. However, i cant find where to play podcast episodes. Is this not available?

Thanks a bunch!

Alex

EDIT: I just opened movies again and now the "shared" tab is gone!! Not sure what to do.

EDIT 2: Lol! Now music isnt working either... It was working not 2 mins ago. Ideas?

did you close iTunes on your computer?

If you did then the content will not be accessible.

zepman

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Sweden
Sadly there're some bugs in iOS 6 that makes Home Sharing very unstable at the moment.

Try toggle Home Sharing on and off by delete and re-enter your Apple-ID in Stettings -> Music to get it working again. Quitting and relaunching the apps might also help.

avillabon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
Sadly there're some bugs in iOS 6 that makes Home Sharing very unstable at the moment.

Try toggle Home Sharing on and off by delete and re-enter your Apple-ID in Stettings -> Music to get it working again. Quitting and relaunching the apps might also help.

I switched to airplane mode and then back to wifi, music and videos work. Can it stream podcasts as well? Cant find a way to do it.

zepman

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Sweden
It seems like they moved Podcast to its own app in iOS 6. The new app does not support Home Sharing.

You might be able to get Podcast back to the Music/Video app if you remove the new Podcast app form your iOS device.

See this thread for more info.

(If you had Googled "podcast home sharing" that tread would have been your first hit.)

avillabon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2011
It seems like they moved Podcast to its own app in iOS 6. The new app does not support Home Sharing.

You might be able to get Podcast back to the Music/Video app if you remove the new Podcast app form your iOS device.

See this thread for more info.

(If you had Googled "podcast home sharing" that tread would have been your first hit.)

perfect! thanks for the link!

Alex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.