Stream mkv from iMac

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by MIKE666, Oct 16, 2011.

1. MIKE666 macrumors regular

Hi, after recently using an iPad I have decided I want one, I will probably wait for the iPad 3.

Before I start saving I have a few questions, is it possible to stream films from my iMac, I have set up a few shared folders where all the films are located, is it possible to connect to these shared folders or will I have to get a program for my iMac?

I realise I will probably have to jailbreak which I have no issues with.

Thanks for any help

Mike

2. crazycap macrumors member

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Is there a reason you want to stream, instead of just putting the movies on your iPad? Simply download the AVPlayerHD app and drag and drop any file format into it, then watch on your iPad at your convenience, anywhere. No jailbreaking required.

4. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

i would rather stream as it is easier for me, i wouldn't have to constantly connect to my computer and transfer stuff only to delete in 2 hours later.

If i have xbmc on my iPad would i need to get it on my iMac or would it simply be able to connect to my shared folders?

cheers

mike

5. Siggen macrumors 6502

I havent tried it, but I cant see why it should not work.
    Install Boxee from Appstore, it is infact a glorified XBMC.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

I use plex media server on my mac and plex client on my ipad/iphone/apple tv's

There's lots of programs to do it, airvideo is good and it will do live encoding, you can also download it to watch offline. I use it for some stuff, but prefer plex because the interface is prettier.

Zumocast will do it too.

7. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

cheers for the help, i now have a list of programs to try and see which suits me best, time to start saving for to iPad!

8. crazycap macrumors member

U just need xbmc on your ipad and sharing a folder via smb/cifs on your imac

9. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

thats what i was hoping, i already have all that set up. Looking forward to the iPad 3 now.

10. crazycap macrumors member

Ipad3 is a long shot, an original iPad can do 1080p mkv via smb over wireless N just fine and will only cost you $250 as well as stays jailbroken forever

It really depends on if you need one now

11. danielowenuk macrumors 6502

Is that speaking from experience? As my experience is that xbmc is very good, boxee was uninstalled.

12. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

why hasnt anyone suggested VLC streamer? i use that for all my video formats, like when im too lazy to sync my ipad i just stream it and move around the house

13. Evgenyy macrumors regular

Another +1 for Plex Media Server and Plex client on iPad :) To me it works better and is more intuitive than XBMC and it does AirPlay to ATV too.

14. sponch macrumors member

Streaming from my NAS with XBMC on ipad 2. Even high bitrate 1080p vids play well.

15. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, for me its don't to want not need, I have no need for one however after using one i really want one, i also have no money and by the time i have saved up the 3 will probably be out

16. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

+1, Plex is exactly what you want. They have native apps for android and iOS and it does not require a jailbreak. You install a media server on your mac, point it at your videos, and it does the rest. It will trans-code the file on the fly so there's no conversion needed on your part. I use it for my Apple TV as well and love it.

Plex Website: http://plexapp.com/mac.php
    App link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plex/id383457673

17. sman789 Customer Support

sman789

I definitely recommend ServeToMe (server program on your Mac/PC) and StreamToMe (client app on ios device). It gives you quality settings on both ends . It won't stutter on your device if your connection isn't fast enought- and won't push your server too hard if it's not strong enough or it's a computer shared/use by others.

does mkv, m2ts, avi, etc. You can also select to share your iTunes Music/Video library and it's password protected.

18. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

cheers for that, will try all these out and see which one i prefer.

19. blow45 macrumors 68000

PLex is the best, absolutely great, just add any folder to it and it finds all the images, metadata, it categorises fils and tv shows by pretty much any way possible, and streams even when you are not at your place but anywhere with wifi on the globe, immense kudos to the devs.

20. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't know that, I'm currently installing on my iMac and will test it out with my iPhone cheers.

21. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

i have set plea media server up and got it all working with my iPhone. i was wondering is there a way i can connect to my server from a windows pc on my local network and over the internet?

cheers

22. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

+1 for AirVideo, it's awesome runs great locally and you can even stream remotely with a little bit of setting up.

23. MIKE666 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Airvideo looks good, I have already set plex up and can access my library from anywhere with my iPhone, will it work the exact same way for apple tv? Thinking of getting one for upstairs