Stream music from iTunes server to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by velkrosmaak, Oct 12, 2010.

1. velkrosmaak macrumors newbie

Hello!

I thought this would be such a simple 'one click' type of thing but apparently not. Gotta love Apple. :rolleyes:

Basically on my Windows Home Server I have an iTunes server running sharing my ~400Gb MP3 collection. I want to listen to this in iTunes on my iPad. Is that so hard?

2. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Not yet buddy but its something thats being rumoured for a while, for the time being try Zumocast. You install the server app on your pc and the app for your iPad. Its pretty knew so its a little buggy but it works

3. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

Try searching for the mt-daapd client in iTunes. I was able to get it working through there but I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Sweet. This is what I have been looking for! Until airplay comes along this will work! I hope!

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

zumocast works well. airplay will not support this function at least not in 4.2.

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I thought airplay allowed streaming to your device. I misunderstood what it did. That sucks.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ok, just installed zumocast and man this has to be one of my new favorite programs! Love it. Thanks for the heads up on this one!!!

8. jgunn macrumors regular

There is also streamtome. I like this app as it streams video or audio off of itunes.

9. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

This is one of the more frustrating aspects of iTunes and iDevices, to me. We can stream music from a desktop computer to any other computer on the network. We can stream music to wireless speakers, and we can stream from networked drives. But somehow, iPhones and iPads aren't capable of doing this. It seems like this would be a no brainer on a portable device with limited harddrive space. Instead, Apple only allows you to use the devices as a remote.

One of many things that has started to bother me about my iPad and iPhone.

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

While I generally agree with you, this is one place where the app store has typically filled in nicely. I'm also currently using Zumocast and it's actually quite impressive. The UI is very good, and it's extremely flexible. It took less than 10 minutes to set up, and I was immediately streaming mkv files to my ipad in perfect quality with no hiccups. It even gives you the option to download files to the device if you like. I'm currently sitting at work and listening to songs stored at home.

11. tad604 macrumors newbie

It's a total no brainer. The only thing I can think is that it might make the iPads with more memory seem less attractive. Who needs 64 gbs on your iPad when you can stream all of your music/movies?

Kind of disappointing that this functionality isn't baked in. Sure there are some flakey apps that do the same thing but they require you to set up another server (even though iTunes itself should suffice) and then won't let you use your playlists already defined in iTunes.

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I agree - especially now with iOS 4.2 it really seems a no-brainer when using the Remote App - I mean the button to choose which speakers to output from is right there - and in every other app, when you use that same button, 'iPhone or 'iPad' is an option, yet it's missing from that one app.

13. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

I think the sad fact is Apple is probably looking at industry restrictions forcing its hand on decisions like this. Apple already has the engineering foundation to make it all work.

For example, Back to my Mac had iTunes library sharing over internet as a feature at one point before it was deleted completely of mention.

I don't think the various companies blocking Google TV (for example) is a random occurence.. it's symptomatic. They want their money, and they want it for everything you stream/listen/watch on.

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have also not being able to figure that one out as well.