Stream to PS3

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by mr.steevo, Feb 14, 2011.

1. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Apologies to the Mac-ies who are PS3 knowledgeable. I'm not a gamer.

I did a few searches for how to stream from a Mac to a PS3 but the results were unhelpful. My understanding is that the PS3 can stream with Windows but I want to know if I can purchase a PS3 and stream from the Mac to the TV via the PS3. If so, how?

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I've never used it, but Twonky does Mac to PS3 streaming.

3. Smalss macrumors member

4. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

+1 for PS3 Media Server also. MediaLink is not bad also but it is a paid product.

5. fastasleep macrumors 6502

fastasleep

+1 for ps3 media server (free)
    http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

used to use medialink, which is worth a look as well ($20 to register), it was great but had a few problems which is why i switched, which have most likely been addressed by now.
    http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

if you use vuze for bittorrent in all its bloated glory, that has a built in media server as well... (not recommended)

6. zirconiawoods macrumors newbie

7. mr.steevo thread starter macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

PS3 Media Server looks like something that is installed on the Mac which allows the PS3 to access a folder in OS X. Does this mean that I need to duplicate movies and photos for this folder?

8. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

I used PS3 Media Server for a year or so, but now use Majestic (also free). I found Majestic easier to set up, less likely to crash (not one so far!) and it seems to use a lot less of the CPU while transcoding than PS3 Media Server did.

9. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I can't seem to get my mbp to find my ps3 : ( do I have to do something in my mbp's network settings?

10. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Vuze. It streams to PS3, Xbox, TiVo, iPhone, etc. I tried a bunch of different ones and found this to be the best.

11. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

No you can set PS3 Media server to look at whatever folders your stuff is in.