Stream video lag

Discussion in 'macOS' started by robgambla, Jan 9, 2012.

1. robgambla macrumors newbie

Hi!

I cannot view stream videos normally. For example - www.nba.com ... that's where I first noticed it.

Video freezes approx. every 3-5 seconds... and frames are missing. Then the video goes on. No matter is it fully loaded or I'm watching it while it's still loading.

This has something to do with OS .. because I didn't have this problem like 2weeks ago.. then suddenly it started.

I don't want to reinstall the whole system because of this, but I have no solution.. reinstalled Flash player... fixed permissions via disk utility .. so.. don't know how to fix this.

One thing - I was using CleanMyMac ... only afterwards I read some negative feedback on that software. So maybe it deleted sumthin' too much. Coz I did run that clean-up wizard.. not sure.. that's the only suspicious thing that I've done 4 these 2 months since I got my mac (my 1st ever).

And it has nothing to do with hardware or my internet connection, because all those vids run fine on my old desktop PC.

Please provide me with some info ....

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources and interfering with playback.

For general performance concerns: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

Quite possible. I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

3. robgambla thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for such a great reply !!

gonna try these things now.

Just wanted to add what I just noticed.. a very strange thing.
    Video still freezes.. BUT - if meanwhile I scroll the page up and down.. at least a little... video GOES ON !! and, If I'm brutally scrolling it up and down (at least a little) throughout the duration of the video, it doesn't freeze at all.. now how SICK is that :eek: !!?? just did it on the nba.com mentioned before..

----------

yea.. Shockwave and Firefox were on the top... taking somewhere between 20-40% ..

----------

Another thing... if CleanMyMac DID delete something too much... how do I like RESTORE all system files/values? Do I use MacOS install DVD? Because seems to me that this problem is more software wise, then hardware ... I dunno..

a month ago everything worked fluently.

Thanks a lot !

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It wouldn't be a bad idea to backup your system and do a clean install. That would ensure that all your system files are intact. Also, make sure you've completely uninstalled CleanMyMac using the link below, as you may still have remnants left behind.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

5. MigueldelRio macrumors newbie

Same here

Hi Rob,

I have the exact same problem in my home (Lion) and work (Snow Leopard) computers (and my brother has the issue too), and as you say when I scroll up and down the video plays fine. So I doubt it has anything to do with your computer or particular OS. I know nothing about these things but it must be some flash codec used by the nba.com site.

Thanks for the tip anyhow!

6. robgambla thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. But the fact is that it DID play fine 2 months ago! When I just got my MAC fresh off the box. So that's why there has to be something I can do about it.

7. robgambla, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

robgambla thread starter macrumors newbie

In fact you were right. It DID have something to do with FLASH. But not the NBA.COM site's flash, but flash on my MAC. I fixed this. Here's what I did:

STEP 1.Uninstall Flash player

10.6 or later
    http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player_osx.dmg
    10.4 and 10.5
    http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flash/ts/uninstall_flash_player_osx_10.4.dmg

STEP 2.
    Clear ALL Cache on my MAC with Cache Out X
    Download: http://www.macupdate.com/download/9538/CacheOutX505.dmg

STEP 3.
    Install this exact flash version from archives:
    http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp_10.2.152.26_archive.zip

Let me know if this helps..

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

8. robgambla thread starter macrumors newbie

You live and you learn.. just realized, that some embed videos require update for this version.. now I guess I have to find a compromise between this and the latest update, which caused all those bugs.

9. MigueldelRio macrumors newbie

Will try!

Hi robgambla,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, for some reason I don't get notifications on new posts!

I will give it a shot to see if it works, although I am quite wary about going back to earlier versions of anything, even more so for flash players which are so ubiquitous.

Meanwhile, let's hope Flash and Apple come to terms because it's quite ridiculous.

Thanks a lot!