Stream videos from mini to iphone

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by idntknw, Dec 17, 2016.

1. idntknw macrumors member

What would be the easiest way to stream videos from a mini to an iphone? I'd rather not upload the videos to dropbox or any service like that cause of the size of the videos and I have a slow upload speed.

It would be preferable that I could access them at anytime with the mini being powered on.

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I think the easiest way would be to just put them in iTunes and turn on home sharing. I have a mini dedicated as an iTunes server and I can access my whole library of 600 movies and 600 TV shows from my iPhone, MacBook Air and two Apple TV's.

This only works in my home however, you didn't say whether you want to access them from remote locations. I know there are ways to do that but have never looked into it because my internet connection is really slow.

3. idntknw thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I mainly just need them available in home.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Well then I can't imagine anything easier than using iTunes. Nothing to buy, nothing to install. :)

5. idntknw thread starter macrumors member

Very true and got it worked out. I was trying to use the VLC app using the local network part and it sees the mini but never seems to connect to it.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

If you want to use VLC, you could just turn on file sharing on the Mini. I have all my media on a fast USB 3.0 drive, and get over 100MB/sec accessing files over my LAN. Works fine with VLC.

7. idntknw, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016

idntknw thread starter macrumors member

Finally figured out the VLC app. Now I have two options.

Thanks again.