Stream Vlc to tv on early 2008 macbook...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adammusic, Feb 6, 2015.

1. adammusic macrumors 6502

adammusic

I have a white early 2008 macbook running Lion 10.7.5 (11G63). Whats the best way to mirror my laptop or stream from vlc to my vizio tv? I tried via hdmi with a mini convertor cable but it doesn't carry sound.

For apple tv i saw that you have to have a macbook that is 2011 or later.
    Videocast won't open because my macbook is older.

Thanks !

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Your post is a little confusing. Do you have an Apple TV? What kind of Vizio TV do you have ("Smart TV"?)?

3. adammusic thread starter macrumors 6502

adammusic

I dont have an apple tv. I have a vizio smart tv.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sound will need to be carried over the 3.5 mm audio output jack to your TV.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You'll have to do the research but I'm under the impression that PLEX is available for the Vizio smart TV. It may cost you $5 in the end but it's great for maintaining a movie and tv show library (on your Mac) and streaming wireless to the TV.

6. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Wireless, I used Air Parrot to an Apple TV on my Early 2008 once. It was alright, but not perfect.

Optimally, you'll want a TV that has a PC-in.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

Or this

[​IMG]

Or even one with DVI, as long as it has a spot for audio and some sort of video, you'll be good.

Not all TV's have it, but most do.

If so, it's a simple matter of plugging in a 3.5mm audio cable from the MacBook to TV, and either Mini DVI to VGA or DVI depending on the TV. Then you get video and sound running straight from the MacBook.

Otherwise, you could use an application to host the video and have a program on the TV or a set top box to play it. Such as an Apple TV using iTunes from the MacBook. This works pretty well with our 2007 iMac. It'll play full 1080P videos over WiFi off of it.

Also, your HDMI cable would work if you had a way to get audio through, usually with external speakers that isn't an issue. I did this with my Late '08 via Mini DP to HDMI, then audio in through my stereo system. But if it's just the TV, probably not going to work.