Stream webcam 24/7 to website/blog

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cagle, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Cagle macrumors regular

Hi, I want to setup my webcam (Logitech Orbit) which is connected to a mac mini and stream the live video (and audio if possible) to my website, using a constant, always on feed.

Has anyone done this successfully, if so, did you follow a specific guide and did it cost anything? Will I be able to have a decent frame rate? I’ve noticed that many public webcam sites are updated every 30 seconds, my page will only be viewed by a couple of people at one time so will this let me get better results?

I have a PC also, if the Mac isn’t well supported. Thanks!!

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

You will most likely need a static IP from your ISP. Usually that costs extra money in addition to what you are already paying. Another thing to consider is if the service agreement you have with your ISP even allows you to run a server from a residential account Most do not.

3. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Not sure about the dedicated IP from your ISP, but there are allot of other places, sites. Beadcam to name one, google can find you more, and there are places that advertise there rental property in Maine that have pictures of the beach that are refreshed every 30 seconds and I know of one that does not pay extra. You should check with your ISP, they may have some suggestions. Also you can get the Apple iSight on eBay, if your wanting this all to work with your Mac