Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfhjag

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Hello all,

I've set up XBMC on my computer back home (sweden) running 24/7 with an external HD. Is there a way that allows me to stream this library to my iPad or Macbook here in France? I've been trying to find a good solution but most options only allow it if you jailbreak your iPad etc. I thought it would be easy with UPnP or similar.

Really appreciate your help.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Have you considered using Plex as the media server? Not sure what the feature comparison is, but I know Plex will do this with the MyPlex account. I really like Plex.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
If you aren't too attached to XBMC and would be happy with anything XBMC-ish, Plex is VERY similar. Most of the differences are in library handling and programming. If you are willing to switch, Fry-man has the best idea. Plex is the most seemless method.

Another method I use, because I have an irrational hatred for Plex and adore XBMC, is the use streamtome. Buy it in the app store, it's cheap. Install the servetome component on the host system and you are ready to go.

Servetome and plex will bother transcode whatever format want on the fly, but the result will be contingent on the internet connection and how powerful your mac is.

TLDR: it depends on what kind of user you are. If you are a power geek, use servetome and XBMC. If you want something simple, use Plex.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.