Streaming 4K on YouTube issues with 5k iMac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dannyar, Jan 9, 2016.

1. dannyar macrumors 6502

im having issues streaming 4K video on late 2014 5k iMac. I have a 80mb connection so that's not the issue. I've tried chrome, Firefox and safari and all buffer horribly to the point where it's unplayable. Anyone had any success with any browsers or plugins?

2. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

Can you provide a URL so we are looking at the same thing?

Here is a 4K video from Vimeo. How does this play on your iMac? It plays fine on my 2015 iMac 27:

3. dannyar thread starter macrumors 6502

This plays fine. Could it be a youtube issue with certain browsers? Do you have a sample from youtube?

4. jitgill macrumors member

jitgill

Not sure if this helps as it does not address your question, but I am on an ADSL2 connection about 13 MB download so I have a bit of buffering, although I am surprised it is not worst then it is. To counter this I use a program called 4K video downloader, it is awesome for downloading 4K video off Youtube and a few other sites to be watched offline. this is the link
    https://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader

5. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

Here is a 4K youtube video that plays OK on my 2015 iMac 27:

It is better to try things like this earlier in the day. During the evening, servers and network links are often congested.

6. dannyar thread starter macrumors 6502

This video plays fine but from what i can see isn't the best quality 4k. Could be a very low grade 4k recording thats made up of a pretty small file.