Streaming and internet connection questions.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stefmesman, Jan 2, 2011.

1. stefmesman macrumors 6502

hello people!

i got an harddisc hooked up to my imac with alot of HD video content wich i normally watch on my imac itself.

my question is. can i also acces this drive over another computer on the same network? and stream the videos in HD to another pc/mac? and what would i need to do this?

is there also a way to do this directly to the television? (ofcourse i understand i need specific hardware for that.)

thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. stefmesman, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011

stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

so if i would buy a mac mini and connect it to the tv with HDMI, i could acces the shared folder of the harddisc connected to my imac, and stream HD video to my mac mini? how would this impact my internet speed? and how could i be able to share to lets say a windows laptop over wifi? would that work?

EDIT: can i also plug my harddrive intothe USB port of the time capsule to not have my imac on all the time?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Even AppleTV might be sufficient for that, as long as the videos are in iTunes (not sure would it work if the are not). Yes, if you buy Mini, you can stream the content in your iMac to the Mini and thus to the TV.

It should not affect your internet speed since the connection is iMac-router-Mini (not iMac-router-ISP), so it does not use your internet connection, just the home network connection.

You can use a Windows laptop as well, see the links in my post above.

The USB port in TC is for printing. Only AirPort Extreme supports external HDs.

5. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hmm, looks like you can indeed do that

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/mac-platform/articles/48709.aspx

If you already have the Time Capsule, go ahead and try it. If it works, then it's great, no need to keep iMac on for 24/7.

7. stefmesman thread starter macrumors 6502

no i don't have one yet. but i was already considering buying one. :) thanks for the help hellhamer!