Streaming and transferring music ??'s

Discussion in 'iMac' started by citron230, Jan 3, 2008.

1. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Ok, so I am totally happy with new new iMac, i love it. btw, i still don't see this screen gradient issue.
    anyways, i haven't been able to transfer all my music from my old PC yet. I was going to put everything on an external drive then transfer it that way. I thought that would be easier, i tried the ethernet cable and it didn't work. i'm not sure if i am doing it correctly, any ideas. is it straight forward, just plug in, or do i have to configure something?
    one more question, what is a good source for streaming music that is free. I tried to log in my sirius and it says i need WMP and yahoo music says the same. Thanks!

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The external drive would be easier. Format it on your Mac using Disk Utility as a FAT32, then plug it into your PC to copy the files. For ethernet, if your PC is cooperating (i.e., networking is turned on) then it should show up in the left pane of a Finder window as a shared machine (provided you're on Leopard). The iMac has autocrossover so your ethernet cable should be fine.

iTunes has a built in radio. There's also Flip4Mac, which is a Quicktime plugin for WM. I don't do internet radio, so I can't help you much.

3. citron230 thread starter macrumors 6502a

citron230

Do I have to format the external drive as a FAT32 in order to transfer the files? I am actually just borrowing a friends external drive. My friend has a PC and dont want to make it difficult for him. I was going to hook his external drive to my PC, copy all my music and data to the drive then hook it up to the Mac and copy it over that way. Will that Mac regonize the NTFS of the hard drive? Thanks!

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Some people report problems with their Macs reading NTFS. The safest route is to format it as FAT32 with the Mac's Disk Utility app.

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I frequently plug my friends' external hard drives into my Mac and it reads/writes to it fine. If your friend's external drive is PC formated, copy the song files to it, plug it into your Mac, and copy them over. You shouldn't have a problem.

6. citron230 thread starter macrumors 6502a

citron230

great, thank you. i will give it a try tonight. I may just end up buying an external drive to do it, then I will have one for time machine anyhow. Thanks again.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It's not that easy. Many people have trouble reading from NTFS-initialized volumes. I don't know why, but it does happen. If you're able to write to your friend's drive, then it is initialized as FAT32.