Streaming audio apps actually do run in the background

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thelatinist, Jun 21, 2010.

1. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It has frequently been said that backgrounded streaming audio apps do not actually remain active in memory, but merely hand over their streaming task to the OS. I, too, thought this was how it worked, but I can now confirm that this is not true. Streaming audio apps run in the background on iOS in a way that is indistinguishable from natively-multitasking apps like iPod!

I have a jailbroken 3GS and can verify that both the Pandora and Tunein Radio processes continue to run in the background when closed just like native apps. I have Pandora streaming in the background right now and can tell you that its process is definitely running and is using 16.3 MB of memory.

Not only that, but the processes do not close even when the music is paused and the app window is closed. I just stopped playing music in Pandora and closed the Pandora window. It continues to run in the background and is using 15.3 MB of memory.

Manually closing the app using the tap-hold-close method in the multitasking bar does actually close the app.

I suspect that if the OS needs memory it will close such an app. I don't think it really changes how we will interact with our phones, and we shouldn't need to manually close things as long as iOS manages memory effectively. Still, this is not how most of us understoodd the APIs working...

2. army91c macrumors 6502a

Ummmm yeah we know. Steve told us so, not sure why it's a surprise to you.

3. ttech10 macrumors 6502

4. draz macrumors 6502a

Running in the background and using up memory are different.

It could be loaded into memory but using zero cpu, similar to what a ton of programs are doing on your computer at home (especially Windows based ones). So when you need the application it is already loaded into memory and it starts back quick.

I don't see anything wrong here?

5. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

Many of us believed that such applications were not actually backgrounded, but that the playing of their streams was handled by the OS itself. I have read this countless times on this board. This does not appear to be the case. The applications remain running and appear to be handling the streaming themselves.

I am not saying that this is a problem, only that it is not how I (and many of the people who post here regularly) understood that it worked.

6. Bernie-Macbook macrumors newbie

You thought wrong, and nothing I read/watched led me to that conclusion at all.

7. LoganT macrumors 68020

The application is not entirely running though. It's just running the core services.

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

How would the OS then update the stream, handle next/previous and pause commands to the server? The OS merely assigns it controls much like your Apple IR Remote does.

9. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

TheAppleGeek

10. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

Steve never said that they were going to run these apps in the background a la Backgrounder, and I am definitely not the only one around here who's been under the impression that apps would not remain open when "multitasking." And almost everyone has been ridiculing people who suggested that such apps would continue to take up memory and might (conceivably) affect performance. I'm just pointing out that we've been wrong.

11. LoganT macrumors 68020

Alright, they actually are running in the background, but it is not the same as Backgrounder.

http://whenwillapple.com/blog/2010/04/19/iphone-os-4-multitasking-explained-again/