Streaming audio crashes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MartinAllen@com, Dec 3, 2010.

1. MartinAllen@com macrumors newbie

I have my iPod touch connected with our stereo receiver to listen to streaming audio via apps for the stations I listen to. The iPod is connected to our home wifi network, which works fine for all of the computers in the house. All was well initially but now the iPod is dropping the streaming audio connection abruptly. This occurs after irregular intervals. Sometimes it works for an hour or more before dropping the connection and sometimes it cuts out after a shorter time. Recently it seems to be occurring more quickly. The same thing happens while listening to various stations, so that is not the problem. It appears that the iPod is dropping the internet connection. I have done a soft reset and a hard reset but that has not fixed the problem. Anyone know a fix for this? Thanks.

2. transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

You did not say which WiFi router you have. The first thing to do is note the date and time of the drop out and go to the event log on your router you should be able to see what happened to the connection. If it logged the event let us know what it says :) The 2nd is to make sure you have the latest firmware for your router. If it is a D-Link which is what I have (DIR-655) there was a DNS problem that caused drop outs and it was fixed with the latest firmware.

3. MartinAllen@com thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying, Tranmaster. My router is an Airport Extreme and I extend the network with an Airport Express. I don't think the router is the issue. I suspect this has to do with the iPod Touch firmware or such. I reinstalled the iPod software last night but that did not fix the prob. My next approach was to change the auto-lock setting from 5 minutes to never. That keeps the screen lit until the unit is turned off manually. The iPod touch has been streaming audio for about an hour since I changed that setting without dropping the connection. We'll see it it continues to work. Thanks again.