Streaming audio samples + external drives

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dingobiatch, Mar 6, 2014.

1. dingobiatch macrumors member

My new Mac Pro just got here yesterday. Now, I still need to sort out my external drive setup. I can't seem to get straightforward answers about what to do.

I've been told Thunderbolt > USB3.0 becaus of data burst vs continuous streaming.

I've seen reviews of all the Thunderbolt enclosures and 500mb/s SSD drives only get read/write speeds of ~300mb/s. It gets much faster with RAID0, but I have read that RAID0 is *not* good for streaming samples.

I've also been told that the only thing that matters for performance in Logic is seek times and NOT read/write speed.

So, not sure what to do. I need 2TB for my sample drive and 1TB for my session. Suggestions?

2. TomasL, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

TomasL macrumors newbie

Hi,

It is all about the money. I am just in the same situation, but have a strict budget.

I may tell you, that according to benchmarks, sometimes USB 3.0 may even work faster than TB. For the example OWC - here.

You get about 380 mb/s on TB and 430 mb/s on usb 3.0

Read/writes is not the only point to look at, there is something like "call time" which i still can not figure out.
    I will tell that 300 mb/s should work well for any logic user.
    If you were in video editing, the rate should have been higher.

And what about RAID 0? Why is it bad for streaming?

If money is not a point, i would go for this lacie or G-tech with This one or that one.