Streaming audio with Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TimmerOttawa, Mar 19, 2008.

1. TimmerOttawa macrumors newbie

I'm very interested in getting myself a Time Capsule so that I can retire my ancient G3 that's acting currently as a file and print server. One thing that I'd like to be able to accomplish with the Time Capsule is to use it as part of a solution to stream my ripped music collection to my stereo. AirTunes comes to mind as a solution, but then I'd have to use my Mac to control what's playing, which is not what I want. I want something that I control much like a traditional audio component.

The second solution that seemed to have a lot of promises is the SqueezeBox from SlimDevices, a quite well regarded little audio appliance that can stream music over a wireless network. The problem with that however is that it requires custom server be running somewhere on your network, which means I'd need an always-on computer, which is exactly what I'm trying to eliminate with Time Capsule.

I'm hoping there exists something similar to the SqueezeBox that can stream audio files directly off a NAS device. I know I can get jukebox-type devices that include built-in hard-drives that you rip your audio too, but all the ones I've seen are prohibitively expensive. I'll have tons of storage space with a Time Capsule, so I'd like to leverage it.

-Tim

2. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Although quite expensive I think you should have a look at 'Sonos'. Their products have a 'Mac' look and feel about them too...