iPad Streaming Blu Ray Rips to iPad 4th Gen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bt22, Jan 29, 2013.

1. bt22 macrumors 6502

I ripped my Safe House Blu Ray last night which after handbrake was almost 16 GB. I tried to stream the movie to my iPad 4th Gen, but it would buffer every minute or so. I have the 3rd generation Apple Airport Extreme. The file was on an internal HDD WD Cavier Green drive in a Window's 7 computer connected to the Airport Extreme via cat 5e ethernet. Should the iPad initially buffer enough movie so it does not stutter? I tried stopping the movie to see if it would download more, but the progress bad did not move. There was no lag the first 20 minutes or so, but then it was every minute or so. Is this file too large to stream? I was also surprised the file was that large. Typically the file size is somewhere around 5 - 10 GB after handbrake. I used the Apple TV 3 preset and set anamorphic to strict and fps to same as source. Would appreciate any feedbake.

Thanks,
    BT

2. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I suspect the bit rate is too high to stream reliably on your wifi. Try it with your iPad right next to the wifi base station. Personally, I find any bit rate higher than 2Mbps tends to stutter and stall if I'm any distance from my base station. For this reason, I run AirVideo Server on my PC and the client on my iPad. That way, I can re-encode on the fly down to rates that stream smoothly and it even lets me watch my movie and TV collection while I'm away from home without having to mess around putting the files on my iPad.

3. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

If I did the math correctly at 16GB depending on movie length (actual running time) you are right around or over 2Mbps...so there is your problem

4. bt22 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Fant macrumors regular

I Also recommend air video ... It can even allow h264 passthru so that you get the full quality onto your ipad ... But 16gb file sounds too big still

6. bt22 thread starter macrumors 6502

I installed Air Video, but it will not recognize any of my Blu Ray rips.

7. dazz87 macrumors 6502

Have you try installing xbmc? I have no issues streaming full 1:1 rip of My blu ray rips. All my movies range from 25-40 GB. Movies are on a portable hd on my Asus RT-N66U. In order to install xbmc you need to JB