Streaming Content from External HD attached to AEB to PS3

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ccolaco, Jan 3, 2009.

1. ccolaco macrumors 6502

I have an AirPort Extreme with a 1TB WD hard drive attached to it. I put a ton of movies and music on it and I want to know if there is a way to stream the content on that hard drive to my PS3. I would assume the PS3 would have to connect to my AEB to see the hard drive. If this is the case, is the PS3 Wireless-N? The reason I ask is because my AEB is in N-mode only and I would prefer to keep it that way. Thanks in advance.

2. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Here's part of the answer: The PS3 isn't compatible with 802.11 a or n. Only b and g. :mad:

source

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Quite apart from the wireless compatibility, the PS3 can't connect to a regular old network drive. You'd need to do the sharing through a Mac, using middleware like Nullriver Medialink - which works quite well. For networking, you could go wired from the AEx. The thing I couldn't tell you is whether streaming WD+AEx >> N Wireless >> Mac >> N Wireless >> AEx >> Wired >> PS3 would be usable, especially given the pathetic throughput of the AEx disk solution.

4. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to fully understand you, should I wire my playstation to my AEB? I can do that since they are very close to each other. Will MediaLink be able to stream the content that way?

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Assuming that you've put the LAN wired and wireless networks on the same subnet, yes - there will not be any problems.

As I mentioned however, if your Mac is on wireless, bear in mind that the streaming actually happens via the Mac... so with your network configuration, the data will be pulled from the AEx HDD by the Mac using wireless, then streamed out to the PS3 back via wireless and then wired. Bearing in mind the very low-end aspect of the networking hardware involved, I'm not absolutely sure you'll get smooth video. Still, Medialink is a good solution and if you have doubts you can try it first.

Medialink basically emulates a dlna server on the Mac side, so that the PS3 can pick up the iTunes library as the source. Anything which is generally formatted for iTunes and iPod, the PS3 should be able to play - although you may need to play with some of the files.

6. ccolaco thread starter macrumors 6502

I will give this a try. I am going to be streaming HD movies so I'm guessing that is going to be pretty choppy. Thanks for your help.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Just so that you know, purchased or rented content can't be streamed. You'll need an Apple TV for that.