Streaming Content without iTunes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Damien Sue, May 5, 2013.

1. Damien Sue macrumors newbie

Hello Forum,

Can I stream content with Apple TV without using iTunes? I live outside the US and buy the NFL Game Pass package each year. I normally watch it on my computer monitor and it works fine. I would like to use Apple TV to wirelessly stream it through my Apple Mini to my TV which is located in another room. Will this work or does all content that is streamed either have to come through iTunes or be compatible with Apple TV (e.g. Netflicks)?

I read the description on the Apple sight and even the description on Wikipedia, but neither was clear in this regard. Thank you in advance for the clarification!

DJ

2. linds15 macrumors 6502a

depending on which mac you have you can mirror your screen. i find the best solution to use an ipad and use the airplay function

3. Damien Sue thread starter macrumors newbie

Mirroring

Thanks Linds15,

I am using a Mac Mini. Can I mirror anything that streams on my Mac? Does it cause streaming problems?

My computer is upstairs in a loft, and my TV is downstairs. They are actually in line of sight. Just wondering if the mirroring causes any bumps in streaming.

Thanks,

DJ

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

My favourite app I've found is Beamer. It works wonderful for streaming video provided you have good enough internet.

5. ColdCase macrumors 68030

You can mirror the display, but not sure about the audio.

Depending on the OS and app, the Mac Mini may be able to airplay certain videos. The best solution I've found is to airplay from a iPad or iPhone. You may need to download the video first, however.

6. linds15 macrumors 6502a

which mac mini? there are hardware limitations for stock airplay so depending on how old, it wont be native, and you would have to use airparrot or something of the like