Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamnsam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2008
NSW, Australia
G'day I have been searching the internet with rather confusing results regarding the following.

What i want to do is this. I have a new imac 24" in the study with a whole load of Divx movies on it. I want to watch them on my big screen TV in the lounge room. Currently I am streaming the video to the TV using on of those AV senders which is O.K. but occasionally there is a lot of interference.

I have been contemplating buying a PS3 and want to know whether I can stream Divx movies to the ps3 and watch them on the big TV in the lounge room. OR can I store the divx files on the Ps3 and use them like a movie library?????

jonnos

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
Sydney, Australia
you can use a program called medialink which is $20usd to stream your stuff.
today i put some avi movies on my portable hdd and connected it to my ps3 all of them worked fine but i couldnt copy them over to the internal hdd though not sure why. the copy button wasnt lit.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I've used MediaTomb to stream music, photos, and videos from my PowerBook to my PS3. The biggest problem I ran into was the buffer for the videos running out and everything getting choppy. Music played without a problem though.

Probably the easiest method is to, like jonnos, just put the movies on an external hard drive and play them off it.

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I use medialink too.
My ext HD is connected to to my Airport Extreme so accessible over network. My PS3 is connected to Extreme via Ethernet. To play movies i just use medialink which allows me to stream movies from network drive to ps3.

Works fine. No choppiness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.