Streaming from iCloud Drive?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by pdaholic, Jun 16, 2014.

1. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

I haven't came across an app that allows for streaming files from iCloud. For instance, if you have a music file in iCloud on Goodreader, you have to download the file to the device before it plays in the app. I know iCloud Drive is still in Beta, but i'm wondering if it's possible to stream anything from it? The ability to stream music and video from Dropbox has been really nice. I would love to switch over to iCloud drive given the pricing scheme!

2. Rugby209 macrumors newbie

I just got iOS 8 and iCloud Drive today. I would also like to know if we are able to stream movies or music directly from iCloud Drive. I loaded a home movie I created that is about 2 hours long directly into icloud.com in the iCloud Drive section. I was able to stream it directly from the browser. I looked everywhere on my iPhone and iPad but couldn't find it. Has anyone been successful doing this?

3. DarkJaye macrumors member

You would need a video app that has implemented the iOS 8 document picker. Then you would be able to select the video file from iCloud Drive and play it in that video app.

This will be more and more common as more apps get updated for iOS 8. The Document Picker is a very easy API to add to most apps.

4. Rugby209 macrumors newbie

Makes sense. I see that apple has three native document pickers (keynote, numbers, and pages). It would have been to have apple include one for photos and one for videos as well. I want to store all my home photos and home videos in iCloud Drive. Then just go to videos on Apple TV and play them. I guess when an app comes out with a video or photo document picker I'll be able to Airplay it. I do that now with dropbox though so it wouldn't be much different.

5. necropunk macrumors member

Any apps out there that have already implemented this? Is it indeed possible to stream video from the iCloud Drive?

6. pietrociao macrumors member

I'm also interested, I tried the App "Documents" but it's not working properly. VLC should add this as soon as they hopefully come back to the iTunes Store, don't you think?