Streaming from imac to tv?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jarda, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Jarda macrumors newbie

Brand new to Apple, 15 yrs.w/pc got tired replaced all w/apple,even iphone 3g.
    Anyway would like to stream things like fox strategy room, espn360.com ect.to my TV. Is there a setup that I could use to accomplish this ?

Thanks again. Do kick myself for not switching sooner. Started teaching 5 yr. old daughter on iMac.

Thanks
    Jarad

Imac 3.06
    4 gig

2. timestoby macrumors 6502

wouldnt you need something that hooks up to ur tv to allow streaming to

3. Jarda thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what i was wondering? be it apple tv something like the old webtv,just thinking in this day and age if there wasn't something to get a browser or direct stream from some external box add on to tv.....bounce it from my mac to the tv screen

Thanks
    Jarad

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I would either get a cable to connect it to the TV, (would need to connect an audio wire too) or get an Apple TV box.

I believe Apple TV streams iTunes and stuff over from the mac, to your TV, and it also lets you download rentals from the iTunes store.

I can't truly recommend it because I have not tried it personally. I can however say It probably works very well :D

Most apple products are well built, and work well.

5. Jarda thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting I just found a program called couch surfer that is suppose to allow u to install i guess something like safari on apple tv. WILL do a lot of reading about that 1 before even think of doing it.....

Thanks
    Jarad

6. tog22 macrumors newbie

What cable(s) would these be, for video and audio? I'm trying to do the same thing, with a late 2006 iMac and a new Sony Bravia 32u3000 flatscreen (which has HDMI inputs - is this what I'd use?)

7. timestoby macrumors 6502

ur tv would have to have a few different ways of doing audio i think. like my sony has a headphone in jack so i could hook my laptop up to it via vga cable and have a cable that has a headphone jack at both ends and then the audio will come out on the tv speakers.

or the sony has audio in jacks so you coulds buy a Y cable, i think it is,then has a headphone jack at one end and the the red and white male phone inputs that will go into the tv's audio in.

does that help lol.

to bad the imac doesnt have hdmi out cause that has audio included so you wouldnt need any other cable