Streaming from Mac to Apple TV’s

danny842003

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Is there anyway to have my Mac default to streaming to my Apple TV’s via Ethernet? I have 2 Apple TV’s and my Mac hard wired back to my router and a switch for extra ports. If I have wifi enabled on the Mac it tries to use that and in short it’s garbage.
It isn’t a huge issue the only thing I use wifi for is airdrop but if I could easily enable a setting it would be nice and save me messing around.

Abazigal

macrumors G5
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Is there anyway to have my Mac default to streaming to my Apple TV’s via Ethernet? I have 2 Apple TV’s and my Mac hard wired back to my router and a switch for extra ports. If I have wifi enabled on the Mac it tries to use that and in short it’s garbage.
It isn’t a huge issue the only thing I use wifi for is airdrop but if I could easily enable a setting it would be nice and save me messing around.
What model are your Apple TV’s? The third generation onwards support peer to peer AirPlay, which should be pretty solid when it comes to streaming.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
The only thing I can think of is that the order list in your network settings has been changed. This is how it should look like:

1582453090852.png

If the Wifi is on top of the Ethernet, you must change the order (select the gear on the bottom left and then "Set Service Order". Or you may have a second location, the "Automatic" one should have the ethernet with the highest priority. In that case you may just need to switch location clicking on it to get the list of all your locations and the select the correct one.

If ethernet is on top and still it uses the WiFi something is wrong. You may try to "Edit location" create a new one, delete "Automatic" and then renaming the new connection to "Automatic". Actually I used to delete the configuration file somewhere in /etc, but it was years ago, so I am not confident about giving directions.

danny842003

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
What model are your Apple TV’s? The third generation onwards support peer to peer AirPlay, which should be pretty solid when it comes to streaming.
Both 4K Apple TV’s. They’re hit and miss I’m not sure what effects the streaming over wifi but it’s not reliable and they’re already connected via Ethernet anyway.
- - Post merged: - -

The only thing I can think of is that the order list in your network settings has been changed. This is how it should look like:

View attachment 895693
If the Wifi is on top of the Ethernet, you must change the order (select the gear on the bottom left and then "Set Service Order". Or you may have a second location, the "Automatic" one should have the ethernet with the highest priority. In that case you may just need to switch location clicking on it to get the list of all your locations and the select the correct one.

If ethernet is on top and still it uses the WiFi something is wrong. You may try to "Edit location" create a new one, delete "Automatic" and then renaming the new connection to "Automatic". Actually I used to delete the configuration file somewhere in /etc, but it was years ago, so I am not confident about giving directions.
thanks I will have a look at this when I get home.
- - Post merged: - -

You are talking about AirPlay from your Mac, rather than Home Sharing or ... ?
I’m not 100% essentially I just want to mirror my Mac screen to a TV over Ethernet. It does work but only when I have the wifi disabled. I select it from the top of the screen on the right hand side.

McScooby

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
I was going to say maybe turn on internet sharing from wifi to ethernet in the sharing section on settings, should override the wifi on the apple tvs.
But i reckon that the issue you'll be having is maybe with the router/switch. If I try to do anything on my ISP's router that involves any airplay/screen sharing stuff, it freaks out. Only way I could get round it was to get an Airport/Timecapsule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.