Streaming from network drive

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by WinterWolf90, Nov 15, 2014.

1. WinterWolf90 macrumors 6502

It's getting to the point where I need a external hard drive and I have settled on getting s network one that attaches to a router. From my understanding if my music and videos are on the hard drive as long as iTunes has it In The library then Apple tv can stream it correct?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Correct, provided you have also a computer running iTunes between your network disk and appleTV. Which kind of makes NAS obsolete. You can as well have a simple USB drive (a DAS) connected to your computer and stream to aTV.
    Due to Home Sharing authentication mechanism (that apparently goes via iTunes Store account), there is no way to let aTV access the NAS directly, as no NAS on the planet currently knows how to serve content to aTV and also handle the authentication.
    Synology has some sort of workaround, but you still need a iOS device to kick off the playback.

3. WinterWolf90 thread starter macrumors 6502

What about the router that Apple has with the storage. Can you stream with that if your computer is down?

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Nope. Apple Time Capsule does not do Home Sharing either.
    It even doesn't do iTunes Sharing (audio only!) that most 3rd-party NAS-s do! But for me the audio playback was not enough, so I use a Mac Mini server running all the time to do Home Sharing + all kinds of other server stuff. This iTunes streaming does not tax the machine at all, so it has plenty of resources left over for other tasks.

5. WinterWolf90 thread starter macrumors 6502

So it seems to truly stream the files I would need a laptop on at all times. What's the best solution in your opinion? I need more space and most of my space is consumed by apps, hd movies and music, all of which would be nice to move to something else that could stream. As long as the laptop is on Apple tv will pick it up since the computer is connected to the NAS. And from what you say there is no way for Apple tv to pick up anything on its own from a HD correct?

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I think many people on this forum have decided that a dedicated computer running iTunes is the best solution. I tried several other approaches, but ended up getting a base model Mac Mini with some fast USB 3 drives that I rotate for backups. It is always on and running iTunes. Works great for my two Apple TV's and MacBook Air.

I went with a new Mini so that I would have something with plenty of power that would last for years to come. But many people are using older machines such as Core2 Duo as iTunes servers. You could even use a Windows machine.

----------

Yes.

7. WinterWolf90 thread starter macrumors 6502

I plan on getting my first Mac next year when they refresh the airs. I guess I can just use my old laptop to hold the files and stream from that.

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

If you just want your files offloaded, you can decide between USB or network drive for your current laptop.
    Both are a small hassle, as USB will require you to plug it in and out, and a network drive will require you to mount it every time you enter your home network. Both ways you will need to re-start iTunes for it to pick up a newly mounted drive.
    If you have a second computer, you can keep it on all times and spare yourself the connection/reconnection part of the previous part.

9. afd macrumors 6502a

I have my video library on a Sinology NAS, and can play the videos from iTunes on my mac, to play them on apple tv i have to start them playing on the mac and airplay to the Apple TV. I can't start video stored on the NAS from the Apple TV although used to be able to. Anyone else find this. DS Video app can start the video air playing to Apple TV, so mostly use it when using apple tv in a room without a computer.

10. afd macrumors 6502a

Everything seems fixed now. Can plat videos from iTunes stored on NAS from computer app on itunes. Also can wake Apple TV from iOS device or Mac, haven't been able to do it that for month or 2.