Streaming from older iMac to TV??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lwien, Jun 11, 2015.

1. lwien macrumors regular

I have a mid-2010 iMac and want to stream movies from the internet to my TV. I know that Apple TV will work on newer iMacs but not on mine. What are my options?

To clarify, I don't want to download movies and then transfer to my TV. I just want to stream to my TV via my Mac. Is this possible?

2. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

From what I've read, I believe that the age of your Mac doesn't matter - but the OS you are using does. I assume you are trying to do AirPlay? I believe that Yosemite will stream via Safari from most internet sources, but older versions of OS-X (at least Lion that I'm using) will only do Airplay from iTunes. Hopefully forum members with more exact answers will chime in.

3. lwien thread starter macrumors regular

From what I've read, it DOES make a difference:

Requirements for using an AirPlay display
    Minimum requirements if your Mac and Apple TV are on the same network:

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

http://beamer-app.com

I use this all the time to stream movies to my TV. It's amazing.

You'll need a ripped version of whatever movie you're trying to watch, but the file format is irrelevant. This app plays everything, as long as you have an Apple TV.

5. jerwin macrumors 68000

If I'm not mistaken, the airplay steaming feature makes use of an mpeg encoder found in the "Sandy Bridge generation of intel cpus. The mid 2010 imac uses the previous generation, which lacks this feature, so apple doesn't think it's up to the task, and consequently, it has declined to write the neccessary code. if it did you might see quite a performance hit.