streaming internet to tv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by llamacide, Sep 18, 2008.

1. llamacide macrumors newbie

I'm a noobie... and I apologies if this is a rehash of old discussions but heres what I want to do.... I have a Macbook Pro... I want to stream, wirelessly if possible, internet TV and movies to my HDTV and/ or just hook the laptop up to the TV directly.... so, do I have to buy an Apple TV or what are my other options wirelessly? or, if I just go the cable route, what are my options? and what is the most cost effective for all..? again, sorry... I'm a moron when it comes to this stuff :D... I just want to explore my options.....
    thanx all,
    tbyrd

2. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I connect my laptop (PC) to my HDTV via HDMI. I got my HDMI cable of off amazon for $1.75. I have my movies stored on an external hard drive which I acess wirelessly via airport extreme.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, you can somehow manage to connect a macbook (I'm just assuming this is what you have) via HDMI.

Until I get my Apple TV I'm stuck with my crApple TV

3. llamacide thread starter macrumors newbie

but...

r u connecting ur laptop to another computer to stream or is ur external HD connect freely to ur airport? I only use a Macbook. I'd love to have my Macbook free and stream from an internet source to my computer, but not sure if thats possible.... or is it?

4. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I stream from my external HD that is connected to Airport.

With my PC I also use my TV as a second display and I can watch/stream netflix movies from their site as opposed to buying their box. I can also surf the web yadda-yadda.

I'm kind of new in this area but I learn a lot of things through trial and error. I don't have a macbook (yet) so I can't really try at the moment.