Streaming iTunes Library over Internet: i.e. from home CPU to work CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GimmeSlack12, Apr 11, 2008.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I am looking for a solution to this problem that I have somewhat attempted but haven't found a consistent solution too. Aside from FTP-ing to my home compter to download music from my Music Folder to my work folder I am a bit dumbfounded. Now I have heard about using a VPN network to set my work computer to my VPN-ed home computer, but I sheepishly must admit, I don't know how to setup a VPN.

Anyone know of programs I don't? I really have searched this one out quite a bit, but still come up empty handed. Anyway to setup a streaming server from my home library so I can connect at work via radio in iTunes?

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Do you mean streaming the music?

If so I've found about 4-5 web based applications googling that fit that bill.

I had one that worked well but can't remember the name of it. It was web based, showed all my playlists and wasn't to bad on performance. I would assume the other solutions I found a short bit ago would work similar.

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Simplify Media does exactly what you're asking for, and allows you to connect to other users too.

I used to use it loads, but my internet has slowed down recently so I can't any longer...

4. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah streaming is what the title says doesn't it? Anyway, I'm down for web based stuff.

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Sweet! I've never heard of that, but I'm going to give it a shot.

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Then google it.

7. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Beautiful, thanks for your help Killyp.

8. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Killyp, you're my hero for today for pointing out this software. I'm using it right now, and it's flawless. Fantastic solution. I can pretty much remove all the music from my MBP now and just stream from home.

9. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Simplify is brilliant. The Devs help you out wherever they can. I had a problem and they setup a repo just for me and was talking to Paul. Ace guy and ace software. 11/10.

10. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Looks awesome, but Im just a tad confused on the whole iTues Proteceted stuff? The FAQ Says:

What about songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store?

Computers signed in with your Simplify Media screen name and authorized by the iTunes Store can play iTunes purchased songs in iTunes. Computers not signed in with your Simplify Media screen name will not see those DRM protected files.

What does that mean exactly?

11. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

You need to add yourself to the 'yes here's my itunes' list basically. If you have friends and don't want them seeing stuff you've bought, simply edit them off the list. If you get me? :rolleyes: