Streaming Media from a NAS and Powerline Networking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by malfromcessnock, Nov 16, 2012.

1. malfromcessnock macrumors member

Firstly board members - I don't know where this post should go so I settled for here since I have a MBP

I'm thinking getting a NAS drive and streaming to my MBP and other devices using Powerline Networking. This technology seems to good to be true.

The NAS I'm thinking of is a Synology unit called DS413j
    url : http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS413j&lang=enu

I'm wondering if I put 4 x 2TB drives in this whether I'd be able to Raid 1 (?) it so 2 of the drives can be for DATA and the other two for BACKUP. Does this product seem that it can be used this way?

There are many brands of Powerline Networking products it seems and I'm thinking of using a NetGear model.
    url : http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/networking_wireless_voip/netgear/powerline_av_200/345157

Any help and opinions re this desired system is greatly appreciated.

Thanks board members.

2. harry454 macrumors 6502

Hey, I actually just picked mine up two weeks ago. Its perfect and runs seamless! I recommend you get the Western Digital NAS Red hard drives, which are designed specially for NAS's and are optimised for low power consumption since a NAS virtually runs 24/7. bhphoto has them for cheap and they ship fast!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

I got the 2TB Drives, arrived here within 5 days from New York, all the way to Australia! Great customer service!

In terms of raid, yes it has the option to setup which ever raid you wish, raid 1, 5, etc. I am actually running mine in Synology Hybrid raid, its similar to raid 5.

There are a lot of packages that can be installed on to it do virtual do anything.

In terms of streaming. I stream over my wifi network just fine in 1080p. No lag whatsoever, so if a wireless is an option for you, Id check out the Airport Extreme base station, virtually would be around the same price as powerline adapters. I have never tried powerline, so I cannot comment on that.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask any other questions, because I know finding data on the Ds413j is scarce since it just came out.

Also, cheapest place to pick up the ds413j is umart.com.au :) As well, if you want to save any more money from buying stuff from the US, as long as the total of the order is less than $1000 you wont be charged customs.

3. malfromcessnock, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

malfromcessnock thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your detailed response. I think I'll buy the drives at Umart too - $149 or so - whoops, wonder if they charge postage - may make them dearer than B&H. How much was postage to you from NY?

Is the difference between the DS413j and the DS413 faster processor and more RAM?

BTW you say you can load lots of packages on it to do virtually anything. Can you shed some light on that please.

Can you install iTunes on this NAS so it doesn't have to be on my MBP?

Can you stream to your iPad?

Lucky boy - a nice new one, 15" Retina MBP/2.6 Ghz i7/16 GB Ram/512 GB SSD - and you maxed out your SSD too. I only got the 128GB, that was dear enough.

Cheers, Mal

4. harry454 macrumors 6502

Hey, no worries. To check shipping, just add the hard drives to your cart (which ever size you want), then type your address in the cart it should give you a estimate for postage. I paid around $51 for my postage, also try calling them to place the order, they gave me a cheaper shipping quote than online. But keep in mind I ordered a few other things too (Moshi Palm Guard & Clearguard, since you cant find the retina version in Australia).

The DS413 does have a faster processor and twice the ram, but it wont be something you notice. How many people would be using it constantly in your house? Just you? The DS413 is better if theres going to be multiple users +5, meant more for small office type setups. I was going through same choice when I got mine. Other difference is drives are hot swappable - doesnt make a difference, just mean you have to power off the NAS to swap a drive. As well just the look of the DS413 is better, more modern, but then again your going to be sticking this somewhere out of sight most likely.

Yes there is a application in the Package Center called iTunes server, its easy to setup, once installed (just click install) you just point it to a music folder on your NAS and any computer/ipad etc will see it. I haven't put my iTunes music on there just mainly because I am the only one at home, so don't see a need to. But I suppose if you only have a 128 SSD then it makes sense.

There are various packages to download via the Package centre, you could essentially turn it into its own web server, mail server, etc. 3rd party packages are also available where you can install them by adding a source, such as synocommunity.com. You can essentially set it up to download movies, tv shows, music, etc.

There are are also dedicated synology apps made by synology for the iOS, Android devices, check them out on the app store that make it all seemless and easy.

As well I haven't tried streaming to the iPad, iPhone, but in that scenario I believe the video files need be the correct format, or the synology can convert them on the go for you. (One area the DS413 would be faster). I have only streamed videos to my Mac and Apple Tv at the moment.

Hope that helps. Just check out the shipping prices at bhphoto even with shipping most likely cheaper because of US dollar, and they very fast UPS shipping.

5. malfromcessnock thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Harry454 - you've been a great help. I'll let you know how it goes.

All the best, Mal Cessnock NSW AU

6. harry454 macrumors 6502

Best of luck, btw I just tried the bhphoto, I placed 4 2TB red drives shipped to Australia was 550 AUD dollars, $50 cheaper than umart, without shipping. So add on umart shipping Id assume another 20-30. Approx $50-80 in savings.

Scroll to the bottom of bhphoto page and you can change currency to AUD.

In the event you don't want to order the drives from bhphoto, I believe msy.com.au has the drives cheaper than umart.

7. malfromcessnock thread starter macrumors member

Wow Harry454 - you really care. You've done my homework for me. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Mal

8. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: powerline networking?

Hi,

I'm interested in the powerline networking too. Anyone have any experience with it? Speeds? Reliability? Etc.?

Thanks,
    Switon

9. malfromcessnock thread starter macrumors member

Haven't used it before either 'switon', but I have faith in all the research I've been doing. I only wonder what happens in the event your ground circuit is live due to an electrical storm etc. Maybe these PL devices account for that - I don't know. Let me know what you think.

Here's a very good YouTube review or lecture.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTD2e9mIoaE

Cheers, Mal

10. switon, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

RE: Thanks...

Thanks Mal for the video link ... I'll take a look at it. I've been looking into the Netgear powerline equipment, and if I decide to "bite", I'll let your know what I find.

Regards,
    Switon

P.S. I see elithecomputerguy says that powerline devices work well and are very stable. I also see that he doesn't like Netgear equipment. I'm a little curious how one powerline device in one home does not interfere with a second powerline device in a second home?

11. malfromcessnock thread starter macrumors member

Swinton, why would devices in different homes cause interference. Am I missing something? They are transmitting are they? Aren't they simply using your ground circuit rather than having to hardwire a new one?

If you come across a review where other brands are recommended can you holla please.

12. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: powerline transmission...

Hi Mal,

I must admit I haven't yet read how the powerline systems work, but I believe that they are transmitting a radio frequency signal over the power lines. (I do not believe that they are using the power lines to transmit an electromagnetic wave through space, i.e., a radio wave propagating through space --- rather I think the radio frequency signal is restricted to the power lines themselves. The signal goes over the wires, in other words, not through space like a WiFi signal.) If the signal is being carried by the power lines, then what keeps that signal restricted to a single home/apartment?

Switon

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I have a Synology streaming via wifi and can confirm it works well for video.

One caveat regarding iTunes. If you have an Apple TV, iPad, or iPhone and want to access your iTunes library on the NAS, you can't AFAIK. The iTunes package available on the NAS doesn't have settings for Home Sharing, which is required by iOS for sharing. You can access your iTunes library only through a Mac.

14. malfromcessnock thread starter macrumors member

Swinton, from what I can find in my brief search. Reds seem to made especially for a NAS environment whereas Greens may not be.

15. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: sorry, but...

Boy, you've got me there. Sorry, but you've lost me when you refer to "Reds" and "Greens". Please explain, as I'm too dense to understand.

Thanks,
    Switon

16. malfromcessnock thread starter macrumors member

Whoops, getting my conversations mixed up. A fellow on FB told me he is using the same Synology unit but is using WD Green 2TB drives whereas I propose using WD Reds 2TB.

I discovered the Reds are especially made for a NAS drive whereas the Greens don't mention NAS in their specs and blurb.

Sorry for confusing you.

Mal

17. switon macrumors 6502a

Whew! I know I'm loosing my marbles, but your post made me think I was loosing them faster than I had thought I was...now I'm glad to see I'm just back to my baseline dumbness. I hope the other guy wasn't as confused as I was when my answer went to him/her.

Switon

18. harry454 macrumors 6502

You can read the differences between the red and green drives on andantech

19. malfromcessnock thread starter macrumors member

Thanks harry454 - so andantech.com perhaps.

Are the differences their NAS drive suitability?

All the best, Mal

20. harry454 macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly, RED are made for NAS. They are designed to run for 24/7 without parking their heads, while also providing low power consumption. They andantech review also shows they run faster than the green drives. As well the warranty is longer on the RED drives. So its worth it in my opinion

21. malfromcessnock thread starter macrumors member

2TB Red, $139 at the moment in Aus.

Cheers, Mal

22. harry454 macrumors 6502

Where abouts?

23. malfromcessnock thread starter macrumors member

24. harry454 macrumors 6502

25. malfromcessnock thread starter macrumors member

Harry 454 - their price was higher two days ago. I rang them and they told me the price was $139, not the $149 their saved website had said the previous day. They must fluctuate on a regular basis. Will let you know how I go.

Cheers, Mal