Streaming media from PC/mac to iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mcmlxix, Mar 8, 2011.

1. mcmlxix macrumors 6502a

I’ll be getting the iPad 2 (8GB WiFi only) for my mom, and even though she doesn’t have a large music collection, I’d rather keep the music in iTunes on her PC instead of syncing it to the iPad. Is it possible to use an iPad to fetch and stream music from iTunes on a PC/Mac?

I really don’t see her being on the go all that much with the iPad but rather using it at home via her wireless network, and it would be nice if she should access all of her media (photos included) stored on her PC from her iPad.

Is this pie in the sky wishful thinking for an ecosystem enhancement that will likely never come?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

iOS 4.3 brings iTunes home sharing to iOS devices so you will be able to do just that.

B

3. Beezy macrumors regular

I have a huge collection. I use subsonic with the isub app. Its a battery hog but it works well. I have access to my whole mp3 collection. Subsonic supports video as well but the isub app does not yet. Havent looked into the 4.3 features yet. Will do so when a jailbreak is available.

4. rkulpajr macrumors member

rkulpajr

home sharing works really well. It even allows you to stream movies. The only disadvantage is that the computer has to be on and iTunes open.

5. ForumViewer, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

ForumViewer macrumors member

I use Air Video Server. Get the app and install it on your Mac or PC. It converts files that don't play nice with iTunes on the fly. Unfortunately it doesn't do photos but I highly recommend it for video.

6. Beezy macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. Ill check it. I am really hoping the iSub app supports video in the future. The desktop version already does, its not a stretch.

7. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I use Plex for music, photos and some movies (the iOS version of Plex only works with specific file types). There are a few other choices out there, but I am looking forward to home sharing.

8. Beezy macrumors regular

Air Video is a win. It couldn't possibly be easier to set up. Works really nicely. Everything is streaming easily over 3g. Makes me wonder why the youtube app sucks so bad?

9. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I forgot to mention that you could also use Splashtop Remote to control your PC or Mac and stream any content directly to the iPad as if you were sitting in front of the computer. I use it on occasion for Flash related sites, but it also gets around some of the issues you have with some of the streaming apps (lack of certain CODEC support). If your computer will play it, it will stream to the iPad.

10. Beezy macrumors regular

Ill check that too thanks. I like team viewer a lot but no streaming unfort.