Streaming media to PS3

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by angel76ph, Oct 25, 2014.

1. angel76ph macrumors member

angel76ph

Hiya. I currently have a new Macbook Air with the new OS X Yosemite. I also happen to have media stored on my Mac.

I'd like to ask Is there any way possible to stream those media (like music albums or photos or videos) from my Mac to my PS3 using the same wifi?

Please help. Thank you.

2. lautzki macrumors regular

3. angel76ph thread starter macrumors member

angel76ph

Well, i tried that but it looks like Apple has "locked out" some "unknown developers" hence i am unable to install it on my Mac.

Is there any other way please?

4. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Is your mac responding with something along the lines of 'Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers' when you try to open the installer?

You can get around this with one of the following three ways:
    1. Right click, and then choose open.
    2. Hold Control+click, then open.
    3. System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> change the option for 'Allow apps downloaded from:' to 'Anywhere'. (The first two options are safer overall, but this one will mean you will be able to install anything at any time. There also appears to be a prompt that will state the last blocked install, which you can then approve for a one time run.)

Hopefully that helps and gets you streaming =)

5. angel76ph thread starter macrumors member

angel76ph

Mr SonicProS....

I have done what you set and set the thing to "Anywhere". But may i ask what now? DO i need to look for and install a media server now?

6. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I prefer Universal Media Server over PS3 Media Server for some of the reasons listed here. (though, these days I mostly just use the Apple TV)

Since it sounds like you switched the allowed apps settings to "Anywhere", then yes you probably just need to install a media server now.

Personally, I leave the allowed apps setting on "Mac App Store and identified developers" - then if there's an app that won't run (from a developer that I trust), I just right click on it and choose "Open", like s0nicpr0s mentioned. You only need to right click and choose "open" the first time you run it... after that you can just open it like any other app.

7. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

Yes angel76ph. Your next step is to install one of the media server options. I haven't done this myself, so I have no specific suggestions or feedback to give on any that are out there. But lautzki and atari1356 both have experience here, so I'd try those out, and figure out what works best for you and your setup.

As a side note, I do the same thing as atari with regards to the installation of apps. Apple does a pretty good job at sandboxing apps and keeping you and your information safe. But I prefer setting the option to 'Mac App Store and identified developers'. I will always attempt to just install something as normal. And if it flags it as unidentified, I do some quick research before overriding the install. Better safe than sorry right?

I will likely be checking out the Universal Media Server atari suggested, given that I have a handful of devices that should be able to stream if I set it up. (roku, sony blu-ray player, ps3/ps4, etc)

8. angel76ph thread starter macrumors member

angel76ph

Great. I think i will keep it as it is for now (set to "Anything") and see how it goes. Will be trying it this week.

As regards streaming say a movie of 2 hours given that i have just under 50% of my Mac's battery life would streaming drain the battery that fast as it uses up more energy to do that?