Streaming modern PC games on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by dcpmark, Aug 24, 2017.

1. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I know this is a multifaceted issue so I'm not sure I'm posting in the right section, but I'd like to be able to stream PC games to my TV using Boot Camp on my 2008 Mac Pro 3,1, which has a 3.2Ghz Octocore, 32GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM, an HD 5770, and running El Cap/Windows 7 Ultimate dual boot off a 1TB SSD. HDD space is not an issue. I have Parallels already installed, but I'm guessing it would be better to use Boot Camp.

1) Is my computer powerful enough to run the latest PC games like the upcoming Battlefront II?
    2) If yes, do I just get a Steam Link or something similar to make it work?
    3) If no, what needs upgrading to make it work well?

Thanks in advance!

2. Pockett macrumors newbie

Pockett

Just to start, I recommend sticking withusing Bootcamp to run Windows is a much better option if you're going to play games as there is a lot less performance loss due to overhead.

1) - Not quite
    3) - The GPU will need to upgraded in order to run the game (The 5770 only has 1 GB of VRAM, and isn't quite powerful enough)

The simplest option would be to buy the Mac edition NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 as a replacement for the HD 5770, since it will natively work in both OS X, and Windows. You can however theoretically install any graphics card in place and have it work, but you will lose the initial boot screen.

If you don't mind losing the boot screen, I'd suggest getting the AMD Radeon RX 480, since it doesn't draw that much power and will be able to run any modern game at the native TV resolution with high graphical quality.

3. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Had a feeling that your post would also be here.

Once again:

1. Bootcamp
    2. Plug in ethernet cables wherever you can

4. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys! I figured that Boot Camp was the way to go, and I have ethernet available, but can't I use a card that outputs in HDMi and save the extra step of a Steam Link-like device?

5. Pockett macrumors newbie

Pockett

Do you mean if you can connect the Mac Pro directly to the TV?

Yes, as long as the graphics card has an HDMI port on it, then you can connect and output to the TV.

6. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. Pockett, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017

Pockett macrumors newbie

Pockett

8. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. Paulk macrumors 6502

Paulk

For me there is a further problem, as I only have 50 MB OF free space on my mac. Thats why I play Drakensang, which is fine on an older mac like mine.

I can also play Runescape on my mac. I have only recently started this.