Streaming movies and other media from Android phone?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by hannesoth, Apr 8, 2014.

1. hannesoth macrumors newbie

Is it possible? Let's say you have a Samsung Galaxy S4 with a lot of memory capable of storing a lot of movies and music. You also have an iPad with 16 GB of storage which may not be enough for me. The iPad is not cellular. Is it then possible to use some sort of application to stream movies and other media from the Android to my iPad using the S4 as an wifi hotspot? I've read about an app that streams movies from the phone to your iPad but I'm not sure if this works when your not home. The app required the iPad and the S4 to be on the same network but I'm not sure that it works when you use your S4 as a hotspot.

Any help is appreciated.

2. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I would have thought that would be do-able. There are plenty of DLNA clients for the iPad and there must be a DLNA server for Android. The biggest hurdle I can see is whether the hotspot function on the S4 allows the iPad to see the S4 or whether it just provides an internet connection. It would probably be easiest to just try it and see.

3. hannesoth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your answer! I will update this thread when I've tried, which might be in a few weeks though.

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

just buy the camera connector for the iPad and load movies onto an SD card. You'll have to "import" them to the camera roll first, but you can watch them after that.

5. hannesoth thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't you need to jailbreak it for doing that? Does the movies have great quality? It's a smart idea! Do you use that method?

6. rtolboom macrumors member

No jailbreak needed. Install Plex on both devices.

Use android plex as mobile server.

7. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

no you don't need to jailbreak. You may be able to use VLC player to play them back. I've tried it once, I usually just sync movies i need from iTunes when I want them on my iPad.