Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
I have a Mac Mini from 2011, the model before the newer 2012 came out. Is there any software that will allow me to stream (or mirror) my non-iTunes movies to my 2014 Smart Sony TV wirelessly WITHOUT the need for ATV, Chromecast, Roku or any other intermediate device? Both the TV and my Mini hook up to the internet via Airport Extreme but for some reason the *mirror* feature only recognizes my son's newer Nokia and my daughter's Samsung phones, but NOT my Mini.

Free or paid, as long as it works. Airparrot 2 is advertized as being able to stream from any device to any other device so I downloaded the trial version but had zero luck there too. False advertising IMHO.

Thanks in advance for your help. Hopefully someone will suggest a solution because I'm sure that I'm not the only one keen on doing this.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Plex is available for Samsung TVs (works great for me) but I don't think many of the Sonys can get it. Available on yours?

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you but I got home late and needed to download the apps for my TV and computer and see if it works as intended.

First off, a huge thanks for this suggestion. Unlike Airparrot 2, it actually works as described without the need for additional devices or accessories.

Secondly, you were right about my Sony TV. The Plex app only works with Samsung as of now. Fortunately for me I have the latest model Samsung Blu-Ray player, BD H6500. I found the Plex app easily enough, but it took me a while to figure out how to download it to the blu-ray player and configure all the settings on both devices to get everything working okay.

Success....finally!!!

You've made me a very happy camper, so once again thanks for the info :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.