Streaming movies from Time Capsule to Sharp 70" with wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppLeTeeNie, Sep 1, 2012.

1. AppLeTeeNie macrumors newbie

I just got a time capsule and want to stream my movies from my time capsule to my tv. Can I use a USB to do it? Or is there a way to use the wifi on my tv to do it? Or will I need to get a jail broken Apple TV? I have my time capsule hooked to my existing internet modem....any help appreciated thanks

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You'll need to be jail broken or have a computer running iTunes in the network somewhere. Without either of these, the ATV cannot read files off of a drive.

3. AppLeTeeNie thread starter macrumors newbie

So basically need a apple tv jailbroke that'll be the only way

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

your TV may be able to play files directly off a network share, it all depends on what is available on it.
    without a model number, it's hard to tell what it can do.

also where did you get your movies?
    from the iTunes store? than you'll need an aTV and a computer powered on and running itunes to be able to play it. (or you can stream your previous purchases from apple)

ripped yourself (or downloaded)? a few options
    plex + (roku) or (jailbroken atv) or (aTV + iOS device) or (possibly directly to your TV or a bluray player)
    xbmc running on a jailbroken aTV.

a USB what?

5. McGilli macrumors 6502

OP - You ask about using USB to do this.

Does your tv have a USB input - that reads flash drives? That's a very important thing to know here.

If so - you could just use an external USB hard drive. I wouldn't try a Time Capsule - as TV's won't read anything formatted for MAC computers.

Test it out by formatting a flash drive to FAT32 and loading a few movies onto it and then plugging it into your tv.

You'd just need a FAT32 formatted external drive. You could plug it into your computer - load it with all the movies you want - then unplug it from computer - and plug it directly into your tv. Then use your TV's built in menu to select the movies you want to watch.

But again - it depends on if your tv supports this.

Now for reference - my Sharp tv is 5 years old - and i CANNOT DO THIS. BUT - some newer tv's and Blu-Ray players CAN do this.

Otherwise, I also use an ATVFLASHed Apple TV.

Beyond this - I won't be much help. Hope you get it working the way you want.

6. AppLeTeeNie thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea it supports it. Ive plugged in my little passport hd and played movies from it but was wanting to play them from my time capsule since I recently put everything on it. I was asking about the USB since the time capsule has a USB plug and my tv has a USB plug...wanted to just run a USB from it to the TV USB and play them off it but not sure the TV would read the time capsule. My TV is a Sharp LC-70LE734U. Also my movies are digital copies from buying movies and also some ripped and downloaded.

7. Nutdotnet macrumors member

No. You cant use the "USB" that way. You need something to access the video files (Mac, ATV, Roku, Boxee, GoogleTV, etc), like others said. The Time Capsule doesn't have DLNA capabilities - so even if your TV does...it won't work.

8. AppLeTeeNie thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks. Im going get either a Apple TV, Roku, or a Boxee today...Thanks