Streaming movies to xbox help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jkarp1, Mar 14, 2012.

1. jkarp1 macrumors member

I have tried numerous programs such as Rivet and Connect 360 but can't seem to get them to pick up my xbox on the network so i can stream movies to it.
    I am trying to stream from my iMac (wirelessly connected to router) to my xbox 360 (connected via ethernet cable) but when ever i download an app such as Rivet or Connect360 it cant pick up the connection from the xbox on the network.

I did some research on Connect360 and found that its pretty common for it not to be very reliable for sharing over wireless networks and its more made for direct ethernet (from iMac to xbox) so i reverted to Rivet, but it wont discover my xbox either.

Any tips ? my xbox is running standard network settings, and i have my iMac's sharing switched on.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I stream movies to several "DLNA compatible" TVs. The streaming can be done with software on a computer or the movies can simply be left sitting on a shared folder and the player goes and finds them. One program that can run on a computer to stream content is "Plex". I tried it but it kept my fans running all the time so I shut it down. My movies sit on a network attached storage drive that supports DLNA. Basically DLNA is a rather loose standard where all the work is done on the player end and the "server" is merely a network file server which could be any Mac, PC or NAS drive. This means that some movies won't play if the player doesn't support the format or can't transcode them. I use handbrake to rip all my movies to m4v format and they all work just fine (after the usual cat and mouse game the studios put me through to get them ripped). I can then put my DVD collection down in the basement next to my 78 RPM record collection. No more diving for the remote to bypass previews.

Another option for streaming movies is Apple TV but again you have to leave iTunes running on your Mac. This is the main reason I haven't bothered with ATV just yet. I really don't have to run software on my Mac merely to watch movies somewhere else in the house. I would look for software you could load on your Xbox that makes it capable of playing movies over the network. Then you could simply leave the movies in a shared folder on your Mac and the Xbox would come and find them and play them. The same DLNA capable TVs that work with my NAS drive are also capable of seeing shared folders on my Macs.

3. jkarp1 thread starter macrumors member

The TV that im running in the bedroom isnt capable of sharing, i'm more focused on sharing to the xbox, rather then the tv directly.