Streaming movies

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nitro1, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

I hope someone can help. I have done many posts trying to get some good answers and still have some questions

Here is what i want to do. I want to load all my movies on to my external hard drive and hook it up to my Airport Extreme. After i hook this all up i would like to be able to play the movies on the external hard drive on my computer using front row. I know this can be done if the movies are in my "movie folder" but i would like it if i could do it without having to put the movie on my computer each time and then remove it to save HD space.

So if i can find the right software to do this i think i have found a good HD i was told to try PLEX. I don't know if it will work as of yet. I am not near my airport to try it out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165156

or i can just get another HD and hook it up to the USB and not worry about the Ethernet hook ups.

So i would hook this to the Airport Extreme and then stream my movies to my laptop then into my TV.

How does this look.

Thanks for the help.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Can't you just put an alias in the Movies folder?

3. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry i am still kind of new to mac, How do i do this and what will it do if i do do this?

THanks

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

On you Mac, using Finder navigate to where your movies are. Don't go into your movies folder itself, just stay in the enclosing folder. Right click the movies folder and select "Create Alias". You'll see a folder icon with an arrow on it named "folder alias" (where "folder" is the name of the folder, which is likely to be different).

Drag this to your home Movies folder and rename it if you like. When you open Front Row and navigate to Movies, you'll see this listed.

5. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so let me make sure i got this. I go into my network where my HD is connected to my Airport extreme then i find the movies folder and do the create alias there and then drag the alias folder to my Movies folder on my Mac? Is that how i do this? Sorry i am kind of a laman.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes, that's exactly it.

7. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thank you i will give it a try when i get home. So if this works then i will not need the software PLEX?