Streaming MP3 issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DutchAppel, Sep 18, 2015.

1. DutchAppel macrumors newbie

DutchAppel

Hi guys,

This first post on this forum, so please be gentle ;)

My brother has been a long time Apple user and knowing I am a bit of a retro-computer addict (mostly English computers from the eighties) he donated his Powerbook G4 and iBook G4 to me to, well, not bin.

I had not given them much love (just having received an Exidy Sorcerer II :rolleyes:) but my 7 year old daughter suddenly needed a laptop for school. Just for simple things, create a document, make a presentation, visit the odd website.

So I thought; a new macbook would be silly, but a black windows laptop would be boring. Why not check out the laptops my brother gave me...

That's when I discovered both laptops have issues. The trackpad on the iBook G4 is extremely erratic and unusable. The research I did got me no further than “replace the whole top part”… Anyway, it works ok with a mouse but not really an option for my daughter.

So to the powerbook G4, also a lot snappier than the iBook. Sadly the hard drive failed after a few days; replaced that with a 60GB one. Also upgraded to 10.4.11.

My biggest issue now is very basic. My daughter had to visit a website called www.espaans.nl/het-weer. It’s a site that has Spanish phrases with a button to hear the phrase (don't worry, the link is safe). Those buttons link to an MP3. Problem is: the phrases don't play.

I tried Safari, Firefox, Tenfourfox, no luck. On the iBook I managed to get it to work using Omniweb.

As a basis for the new hard drive for the Powerbook I used an image of the iBook’s hard drive. Managed to get it to work.. but no sound!

Any advice to get this to work is greatly appreciated, it would be fun to have my daughter use a Powerbook among all those Windows 10 Celeron laptops.:)

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Hello Paul. On the site you mentioned, right click the speaker button (which on a Powerbook is done by pressing the ctrl key and clicking) to bring up a menu and select Download Linked File. Go to wherever it's downloaded and double click it - does it open in iTunes or Quicktime and can you hear it? If the answer's no, the problem isn't the browser - it might be hardware or a corrupt extension. Let me know and we'll go from there.

3. DutchAppel thread starter macrumors newbie

DutchAppel

Hi Dronecatcher, thanks for your reply. Yes, it does work then. In fact, if I open the link in a new tab it also works (I get the Quicktime bar and it plays the MP3).

4. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

That might indicate that the site uses javascript to play the sound in the same window - if you're in Safari, in preferences is Javascript turned off? Also, are you using the latest version for 10.4.11, which should be 4.1.3?

5. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Might be worth running software update to get the system as up to date as it can be.

6. DutchAppel thread starter macrumors newbie

DutchAppel

That worked! I had not realised I had to run software-update multiple times. Now I just kept running it until no more updates came and Safari handles the page perfectly.

Thanks very much!

7. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

Yeah, the sequential Java updates seem to go on forever! Glad it worked out :)