Streaming music from a Mac or iPad to a speaker?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kat.hayes, Apr 10, 2016.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

i want to place a speaker in a toddlers bedroom and control it from either a Mac or an iPad. Can anyone give me any suggestions of what I should look for?

Thanks.

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I would recommend trying a Bluetooth speaker and if there is too much interference/distance for a constant signal, connect it via WiFi Airplay.

My choice of gear, which I am using right now with my iPad, is a Bose Soundlink Mini II (add a splash of colour with the protector cover) and if Airplay is needed, couple it with an Airport Express using the 3.5mm connection. It also has a USB connection which can keep the speaker charged.

Bose also has a rugged and colourful Soundlink Color range. The sound is excellent, but not quite as world-beating as the Soundlink Mini.

3. deeddawg, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

deeddawg macrumors 604

I highly recommend Airplay over bluetooth for in-home stuff. No worries about range, and with software such as Airfoil from Rogue Amoeba you can easily stream to multiple speakers simultaneously.

Note: it's very easy to turn any powered speaker into an AirPlay speaker; pick up a used/refurb Airport Express and plug the speaker into the audio jack.