Streaming music from MBP to Ipod touch.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morley7, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Morley7 macrumors member

Hello,

What I would like to do is be able to listen to my itunes library that is saved on my Macbook, through my headphones connected to my ipod touch while at home.

I know that this can be done with apps like zumocast. The problem with that is it goes through the internet first, which is eating up bandwidth. Also my ipod does not get a strong enough signal everywhere in the house to stay connected to the router.

So more specifically I would like to use airport on my MBP to create a separate wireless network and use that to connect directly to my Ipod. I can get this far but I'm stuck as to how I could stream my itunes library. Any of the solutions to similar situations that I have been able to find online require and internet connection.

If anyone has been able to do this or has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

2. Morley7 thread starter macrumors member

This looked like it had potential. However after setting it up I realized it will not work because my music is not saved in a separate folder besides the Itunes Music folder. So it won't recognize any of my music.

It gave me another thought though. I could just access my music locally through the built in web sharing.

Leading me to a new question.

My music is saved in /users/morley/Music/Artists/. How could I share this using the built in web sharing without moving my music library to Library/Web Server/Documents? I tried using an alias and when I go to it in a browser, it just shows a bunch of symbols.

3. stev3n macrumors 6502

Have you tried Airfoil? I have never used it but I know it's been around for a while. I hope this helps. Here is a description from their website:

"Send any audio from your Mac to AirPort Express units, Apple TVs, iPhones and iPods Touch, and even other Macs and PCs, all in sync! Airfoil for Mac gives you your audio, all around the house. Read on or just download now!"

4. Morley7 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That looks perfect. I'll try it when I get home. I don't know how I overlooked this before.