Streaming music taking up storage

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by lonman06, Jul 1, 2015.

1. lonman06 macrumors regular

So I have noticed that when I stream songs they are being listed as stored on my phone in the settings and about device section of my phone. If I stream 10 songs it will say I have 10 songs on my phone. I have noticed the storage space on my phone decreasing as I stream more. I am not clicking to download offline either. Doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose of streaming if it's taking space on my phone?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

All on-demand streaming services will use some relatively small amount of space as a cache, as there is a good chance that you will listen to some of that music more than once. Caching it saves you bandwidth by not having to download the same song, same album, over and over again.

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Yeah ... I just noticed it says I have 57 songs on my phone. o_O

4. lonman06 thread starter macrumors regular

Does this eventually clear out or will it just always decrease. I've noticed my free space go from 11.9 to 11.6. As long as it doesn't keep going down that's fine but if it keeps going down at that rate I'll run out of space.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

No, it's not indefinite. There should be a fixed size but I don't know what it is with Apple Music. I doubt it will use more than 2 gigs at most.