Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
Hi

Sorry if this has already been answered... I did a forum search but no luck.

I know I can stream video content to :apple:TV, but can I also stream music & photos? Or do music & photos have to be synced?

I have 36.5GiB of music in iTunes (and growing). The :apple:TV HDD is (I assume) 37.25GiB, and I suspect that a fair percentage of that is taken up buy the OS and stuff.

Is my whole iTunes music collection going to be accessible in :apple:TV?

Thanks in advance
SL

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
You can stream Music but not Photos. The funny thing is that Steve Jobs on his keynote at Macworld mentioned that the Apple TV would also stream photos... I wonder what has happened and they disabled the feature

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
From your AppleTV, you have to choose "Sources" from the top menu and "Connect to New iTunes" and connect to your iTunes library on your computer. iTunes must be running on that computer to do this, and must show the AppleTV under devices. Hope that helps.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Music streaming is instantaneous with my setup... its the movies that take an age/re-buffering. I'm blaming the fact that they are on an external HDD, but even that excuse isn't washing with me anymore...

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Music streaming is instantaneous with my setup... its the movies that take an age/re-buffering. I'm blaming the fact that they are on an external HDD, but even that excuse isn't washing with me anymore...

yea. streaming is fine. I should say transfering it into the AppleTV is taking forever so it can store it on its HDD

antrabbit

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2005
London, UK
Does anyone know whether streaming music supports gapless playback of mp3s? And does it play gapless when stored locally too?

Thanks

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London

My videos are not only on an external HDD, but on an AirDrive, and I have never had videos rebuffer.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Re: streaming speeds, I'm on a wireless g network (PowerBook G4) and my iTunes library is on a USB drive connected to the PowerBook. I've never had any rebuffering, and movies buffer for 1-3 seconds before they start to play.

Re: photo streaming, I'm pretty sure this is a feature that was left off because it was not quite polished, and AppleTV was already late. I think we'll see more "significant" features in software updates to it. Photos should display like on iPod, with thumbnails, not limited to the slideshow mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.