Streaming Music to Car Via Bluetooth??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TubbyCow, Jan 10, 2010.

1. TubbyCow macrumors member

Hi,

I have tried to find this answer but just can't seem to.

I have an iPhone 3G and just brought a 2010 Toyota Corolla with the bluetooth feature for making phone calls.

Can I stream the music from the phone through the car speakers so that I do not need to use the Aux port and have a wire going to the phone.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated

2. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I'm not 100% sure about a stock car system, if it's bluetooth enabled you should be able to stream music, however, the system might only be for hands free calling.

I have an Alpine deck with full iPod support through a cable and via bluetooth, I can tell you right now, it's way better to run it through a cable because the sound quality is way better. When you go through bluetooth the sound quality is quite a bit less.

If you really want the best support, buy an aftermarket deck, Alpine being the best.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Not all bluetooth-enabled devices support streaming stereo audio; some only support the bluetooth profiles for hands-free speakerphone. You need to find out if your stereo has A2DP support.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i know the new prius has this capability, but i don't think this feature has trickled down to the corolla model yet. you should check the specs on your car to find out.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

My Lexus will do it. But I had a problem getting both the phone and audio to work at the same time. I have a USB port that charges the phone and works much better than any bluetooth connection. Stick with the aux port. The results will be better. ;)

6. KidPub macrumors member

Pioneer

I stream to a Pioneer in my car, it has a BT Audio mode. All audio from the iPhone streams to it. Sounds great.

Perry

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

A quick internet search gives conflicting information about whether the built-in bluetooth supports A2DP. Best to just check your stereo's manual.

8. TubbyCow thread starter macrumors member

Update

Streaming does work on the car. The stock bluetooth system streams any sound from the phone as it supports A2DP.

Only plays through the front two speakers of the car (can't tell when driving, not sure how it would be for back seat passengers.) The quality does seem fine. I have not noticed any issues at all.

9. vilasgn macrumors regular

I have 2010 prius and streaming works flawlessly! I use it all the time.

Earlier I had problem getting and phone and music working together but now it works.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

My car doesn't have native BlueTooth, but I bought my wife a MotoRokr T-505 for Christmas and, after using it during our Christmas travels, I've already got one on order. The thing works great; not only does it do speakerphone and streaming A2DP, it is also the best FM transmitter I've ever used with my phone, overpowering significant interference and giving me quite tolerable audio quality. Audio fades out on incoming calls and restarts as soon as your call is done, music can be controlled by voice with one button-press. And I've eliminated the tangle of wires in my center console.

I highly recommend it for anyone with an older car stereo that doesn't support Bluetooth.

11. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

That is exactly what I was looking for 2002 Altima! Thx :)

12. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

So do I understand that this device will stream music to your car stereo via the FM transmitter? Is that correct?

I have an Aux plug in my Jeep would looking for a way to lose some wires in the jeep.

How's the audio sound?

And do you experience much in the way of dropouts with the BT signal?

Thanks

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes, the Motorokr streams stereo audio via A2DP, then transmits it to your car stereo via FM. It will search for the best station, which it anounces via TTS. It also serves as a hands-free kit, pausing your music when you receive an incoming call and playing your caller over your stereo's speakers.

The audio is as good as or better than any other FM transmitter I've tried; it seems more powerful than iTrips or the Belkin transmitter I was using previously so there is less static. For the serious audiophile it will probably not be satisfactory, and you will definitely notice the difference from your Aux in. My car doesn't even have an Aux in, though, so for me FM transmitter or expensive adapter kit are the only option. I haven't noticed many dropouts with the bluetooth signal; I believe there is a buffer of at least a couple of seconds.

I especially like the voice controls. The Motorokr has AVRCP support, which allows you to play and pause music with the play/pause button on the front of the unit, as well as use any of the iPhone's voice commands by pressing the phone button. You can skip tracks, repeat tracks, play songs by artist or album, etc, as well as voice dialing. In my experience, the accuracy is as good as using the iPhone's mic.

All of this allows me to keep my iPhone in my pocket and control everything from the Motorokr. It's really cleaned up the clutter in my car.

14. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

I may have to give it a try.

I found a BT receiver that allowed me to plug it in to my Aux port but for some reason was getting a lot of drop outs with my BT signal.

I am also seeing a lot of variation in pricing for this item. As low as $60.00 on Newegg (out of stock) to 200.00 on Amazon.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I think the Newegg deal was a one-time thing; they've been out of them for a while. The other cheap ones I've found are refurbs. $200 is exorbitant; typical retail prices are about $129. I got my wife's from Bestbuy for $99.99 (regular price).

16. ckong macrumors regular

Just my $0.02... I tried an FM transmitter once (Belkin charging cradle & transmitter). It was awful. Thought I'd be stuck with it but was able to take it back due to a factory recall. I've since replaced it with a cassette adapter which works great. Wish I could get a real iPod/iPhone adapter for my car but haven't found one yet.

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The Motorokr is unlike any Belkin FM transmitter I've used. As I said, it easily outclasses the Belkin transmitter I was using before.

18. ckong macrumors regular

Thanks. Your posts always have good advice so keep that one in mind.

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Thank you. Remember, though: it's still an FM transmitter. There's no getting around the inherent limitations of FM.

20. rkonmd macrumors newbie

Hey, I also bought z 2010 Corolla XLE and I am having trouble streaming any audio from my iPhone 3GS. I've setup the bluetooth phone in the car and the phone and both are showing that its connected but for whatever reason I don't get an option to stream the audio through the car?

Any help is greatly appreciated.