Streaming music to IPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Theone0581, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Theone0581 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I so much music on computer, and I thought it would be wonderful to take the music and put it on my iphone. If your like me, there's really no room on your iphone because of the lack of hard drive space. So I need a solution for this problems.

The goal: To stream music from music library to iphone.

Now I understand that this concept that I am referring too is what the term defines as "clouding"? Do I got the right idea?

I know that there are apps in the appstore that support this idea e.g. Streamtome. However, the music that is being streamed to your iphone is coming directly from your computer using that as a server. What happens when the computer goes to sleep though or gets turned off? Well your server then gets shut down, thus leading to a problem. No server = no music.

Some of you might be asking me, "Why don't you leave your computer on?" When you got a computer like mine running at 1000 watt power supply, it does starts to run up the bill when under constant use, and lets face, these days saving money is ideal.

So a solution to this problem might be a online serve in which one could upload their music library, and then using that serve online to stream music to the Iphone.

I am sure I am not the only one who has thought of this concept, but looking over the internet I have not really found anything that supports this idea. Any ideas to why? Or perhaps I have missed looked a few things over things. In any manner, what do you guys think.

Cheers

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Have you read up on itunes match? its on the front page.. and it will have streaming from your library. i would read more about that as itll be your best solution and work flawlessly within the apple ecosystem..

3. Theone0581, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

Theone0581 thread starter macrumors member

Sounds interesting, however from my understanding, this service is only available with purchases. Correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: ICloud seems to be what I am after, however Its only available to developers right now.

4. mlukens macrumors member

That's partially correct, it will also work with what is already in your library from CDs that were ripped or downloaded up to 25,000 songs, at least that's what I think I remember.

5. Theone0581 thread starter macrumors member

Oh okay, well I will just have to wait until this fall to experience it I suppose. If its a promising as I would like it to be, then I would have no problem paying 25$/per year.

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

there's 3 good options for you that I can think of:

if you only want to be able to access the music on your computer for streaming from anywhere, then you can use google music (currently in beta and free, though may cost money in the future...long wait while your music uploads, and there is no iOS app. The website works, but it is a bit clunky. Good news is you can control the playback just like if it was an app). If that is something you're interested in, I may have an invite...PM me

if you want to have the option to stream OR download all the songs on your computer, then wait for iTunes match. $25/year

if you want to be able to stream and download ANY song, but not keep the files after you stop paying, then go with spotify. $10/month gets you unlimited streaming and downloading to computers or iOS. Any files you already have can be put into spotify on the desktop and then loaded onto the spotify app, and you can stream the rest of the songs. It is a great and annoying thing at once...great because you can get virtually ANY song whenever you want, annoying because instead of your collection, you have to browse ALL SONGS, and it can get to be a bit much at times

7. jbro1999 macrumors regular

I use Z-Subsonic. Works great and free (besides the ios app = $5)