Streaming on Twitch & Other A/V Qs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Katastrophe, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Katastrophe macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I was referred to this forum by a friend of mine on twitter. Said the community was overall very kind and helpful, especially when it comes to questions such as this that seem to cause many people headaches if not just because the solution would be infinitely easier if we were on a PC. However, I love my MacBook and though I can (and have) partitioned it... I would rather just keep everything united. That said, I've (hopefully) come prepared with all of the information you'll need to be able to assist me. I apologize if some of the information I give is entirely unnecessary but I'd rather give you too much than not enough.

First, my MacBook...

Version 10.8.2
    Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

It's a 13-inch MacBook from late 2008 that I bought off an old co-worker in 2010.

Next, let's talk about HOW I'm capturing video from my Xbox 360 - my Hauppauge HDPVR. Unlike most people, I didn't invest in EyeTV - Instead, I purchased HDPVRCapture and that's the program I use. HERE is a screencap of my Video Encoder settings. This is pretty much the default setting and I haven't messed with it. This program plays the video file as I'm capturing it in VLC.

From there, I use CamTwist. The VLC video window is set to "half size" and then minimized (while keeping the aspect ratio/holding Shift) to as small as it can go. I set that up in the corner. Camtwist wraps on that which is pretty self-explanitory, so here's what my Preferences are - it's the only thing I've changed as per a few video tutorials I've found.

Last, this goes through Flash Media Live Encoder. HERE is what my settings are. Must of it was suggested from a video tutorial that I have since played with. However, this is the best I've gotten for my output. The quality is descent, especially when I'm not moving, but the low FPS is noticeable. HERE is an example of what's coming through on Twitch with these settings.

So, my question is this: how can I improve my FPS to something more like the 30 I'm trying to input? Also, why is there no game audio? Is it because the FMLE encoder is set to my Internal Mic for the audio or because I had my volume Mac's volume muted while recording?

One final question and this is just a side thing...
    When I record with the HDPVRCapture, I get a .m2ts file. I select the option to repackage this into a .mp4. Now, iMovie will load this fine - no problems. Except recently it has been flickering after being exported, as seen HERE. My same friend recommended I tried Final Cut Pro X. However, when I import the .mp4 file into it, all I get is audio and a black screen and we have no idea why. I've even put the .mp4 into iMovie and exported it into all sorts of file types but it's the same result every time. Any ideas?

Thanks for all of your help and let me know if you need any other information!

Edit: Also, the audio and video from that Twitch video is incredibly out of sync... not sure why as no one mentioned that being a problem the other day.

Edit: Also, here's my Speedtest result. However, the ISP advertises this speed as 23down/3up so I have no idea why my upload is shown to be so high but I'm not complaining.
    [​IMG]

2. Stooby Mcdoobie, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

If I were you, I'd post this on the TwitchTV support forums. Your upload speed, which is the only part of your connection that matters in this case, is not the problem. Your processor is the problem; it can handle the capturing, encoding, and re-encoding that's all happening at the same time. You'd need something a lot faster (sandy/ivy bridge) to stream a better picture. As for the audio, I'm not sure - that's why I suggest you post this on TTV's forums. Also, I've heard that the HD PVR isn't the best device for streaming.

3. Katastrophe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the post. I made one on the TTVS forums as well. I assumed I'd get a better answer here, to be honest, since most people on Twitch use XSplit and PC, I assume. The reason I got an HDPVR was because it was recommended to me by a friend as a good capture card that can be used to both capture and stream with relative ease... although more and more, I think that was a bit of a mistake. Though the price was cheap... "/

Any clue as to the FCPX issue, by chance?

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I wish I could be of more help; unfortunately, however, I have never used Final Cut Pro. I do have a Hauppauge HD PVR, but I don't use it to stream. I hope you get it all worked out, though.

5. Katastrophe thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the Twitch forums have been all but useless. Not surprisingly, it only has 1 View - from when I posted it... "/

I mean, like I said, the quality is good and it's watchable... but I notice the FPS drops down to 8 or 9 when things get hectic which is no bueno for streaming a game like Halo.