Streaming Quality

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by webbymac, Oct 11, 2014.

1. webbymac macrumors newbie

Hi, recent ATV3 owner here.

If I stream an Internet streamed movie to my iPhone 4S (iOS 7.1.2) in 720p HD, it looks great and plays with no digital artifacts like blocking or stuttering. As soon as I Airplay it to my ATV I get blocking and stuttering. Why is this?

The ATV is on the same network as the iPhone.

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Because your iPhone is now doing double duty. Streaming to your iPhone from the source. Then from your phone to the Apple tv.

3. webbymac thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought that when you airplay, you 'hand over' the stream to the airplay receiver, no?

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

You are referring perhaps to "AirPlay from iCloud" which arrived with iOS 6. Perhaps it is self-explanatory, but that works with iCloud content, not some random stream you might find on the Internet.

There are some Safari hacks for OS X (Click to Flash comes to mind) that will forward compatible URLs to an Apple TV for playing.

A.

5. z06gal macrumors 6502

I have spent all day dealing with this issue. We have directv and there are a number of channels that they allow for watching on computer. It looks great on the computer and the video actually looks very good on the Apple TV 3 but the choppiness is mind numbing. I have all wired connections and have set my airplay devices to the highest priority in the QoS settings. I have the fastest internet connection TW offers here so it isn't speed. Everything is up to date so I am out of ideas as to why this is occurring. If you figure it out, please post ;)