Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neutral Milk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
I feel like this should be obvious, but I'm not finding the solution through google, and I'm not figuring it out on my own.

Is there no way to use iTunes on a computer in the same way we use the Apple Music app in iOS? I see there is the "for you" section, and if I click on one of the playlists that seems to work, but none of the saved music from the iOS app is in "my music", and when I search for artists I can only listen to 30 second samples.

Is this the functionality I'm stuck with? If so I'm probably going to stick with Spotify since it does have the option of the desktop app.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Use the "New" section on iTunes to stream music, rather than the iTunes Store (which is why you're getting samples).

Enabling the iCloud Music library will add all your saved iOS music.

Neutral Milk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Thanks for the response. So in order to make this work I have to pay another subscription fee for Match? That's the only way I can figure to enable the iCloud Music library on my desktop app.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Thanks for the response. So in order to make this work I have to pay another subscription fee for Match? That's the only way I can figure to enable the iCloud Music library on my desktop app.

Under iTunes preferences, there should be an option under General to enable iCloud Music Library (for free).

Neutral Milk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Under iTunes preferences, there should be an option under General to enable iCloud Music Library (for free).

This worked, but turns out I'm even dumber than that.

All I had to do to solve my initial problem (you solved a problem I didn't totally realize I had) was to click on the "search" and then select "Apple Music" instead of "My Library".

Ugh.

almirramic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Apple Music streaming is such a disastrous mess. Combine Windows Vista, Windows 8, Titanic and hurricane Katrina together and it still doesn't quite reach the chaos that is Apple Music. I don't think it even qualifies for pre-beta or half-fledged concept.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.