Streaming video audio working, video not so much (extremely slow or not moving)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by morgothaod, Aug 27, 2009.

1. morgothaod macrumors regular

Hi all, I'm unable to enjoy streaming video and I don't know what is causing the problem. The video loads (I have a cable connection), but when it plays, I just hear the audio and the video will either no move - I'm stick with an image or it'll move to the next "picture" like 30 seconds later.

Any ideas on how I can fix this problem? My PC uses Windows ME btw. Is there some sort of program out there that can help me out?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You mentioned your PC was quite old in the other thread (plus it runs ME)... is this Flash video, like Youtube or Hulu or NBC or something like that? You may have to face the possibility that your computer is just too old for this kind of task. I'm not that familiar with the Duron, was it, though and how fast it is? Generally speaking on the Intel side, streaming Flash video becomes useful I think around the middle of the Pentium M speed range -- it's fairly usable on the Pentium M 900 in the EeePC but it's not perfect.

That being said, what's the newest version of Flash you can install on your computer? Flash 10 is quite a bit faster / more efficient than older versions. If you can't install it on ME and you can't get a newer computer, then consider getting a used copy of Windows XP....

3. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular

I went to a site to look at streaming video now. One of the videos gave me the problems I described and another video on the same site gave me no problems. Both videos were 20+ minutes long. What's the deal with that? 99% of the time, the videos are very, very slow. I believe I have Flash 9 installed on here.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, the other suggestion I have is that when you try to play a flash video, when it first starts, click pause. The little bar at the bottom should fill up as the video loads; let the whole video load (usually the player will allow this, although some don't) and then once it's loaded, then click play. This will produce better results in general.

5. morgothaod thread starter macrumors regular