Streaming video capture

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gslrider, Sep 1, 2010.

1. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

Anyone know of a Mac OS X software that will capture streaming video and save in a playable format in Mac OS X? Kind of like DownloadHelper for Firefox captures FLV, MP4, MP3, etc... and saves it to your hard drive.

Thanks.

2. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider

Thanks. But that's a screen capturing software. Looking for a software or plugin like DownloadHelper for Firefox.

Sometimes I don't have time to sit in front of my screen to watch the whole stream. Wanted to be able to download the stream directly to my hard drive in a Mac compatible video format, so that I can watch at a later time.

The problem with Snapz Pro and screen cap apps like it, whatever happens on your screen it will be captured. ie. screen goes to sleep and goes black, you move the window being captured, you open a folder and it comes in front of the window your capturing.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I used it to capture the portion of the screen, where the video played, with videos even Download Helper couldn't get.

I think you meant videos that even Video Download Helper can't download, if it is that way, than I only found this way via screen capture, as the threads I linked to (form the last year) have found too.

4. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider

I guess that would be correct, as DownloadHelper can't download streaming video. But it does download a number of other formats. ie. YouTube, Vevo, MP3s, etc... Once it starts downloading, you can close the browser window and it will continue to download till it's complete. Downloaded video file can then be viewed later. So looking for a software that will do that but for streams. Type in the URL, and the software will automatically start recording the download even if the window is closed or your screen goes to sleep. Without the capture being affected.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I understand completely, I was looking for something exactly like that last year, but couldn't find anything then. Thus my third-rate solution via Snapzy.

6. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider

Dang. Guess I'm just going to have to set up my system so it doesn't go to sleep, and no other apps are running while I'm doing a screen cap with Snapz. And hopefully I won't need to use my computer for the length of time it's capturing, and if I have to step out I don't run out of hard disc space. Unless Snapz has a timer feature. I don't recall it having one.

Thanks for the input.