Streaming Video from Mac Mini to ATV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by helpanoobout, Apr 23, 2013.

1. helpanoobout, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

helpanoobout macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm considering getting an Apple TV 3 to go with my Mac Mini. I love having my Mac mini hooked up to the big screen TV but I need to move it to another room and connect it up to regular computer monitors. However, I still want to be able to use the airplay to mirror the mac mini onto my big screen TV. This would be so that I could stream things like Hulu (without having to pay for hulu plus), Amazon Prime Instant Video and I also have XBMC on my Mac Mini which I would love to be able to mirror. With a good wireless keyboard, I hope to be able to control the Mac Mini from the room with the TV. But assuming, that's not an issue, is this possible to do with the airplay feature? Is the lag bad? Audio and video sync up correctly? Any issues with airplay? Anyone have luck with a mac mini to ATV? Thanks! The airplay is really the only reason I would buy the ATV.

Also what I read somewhere about "airparrot" being what you need to sync your mac computer to your ATV. I'm a bit confused about this. Isn't airplay supposed to do this? Or is airplay only for your iPad?

2. Legios macrumors regular

Im not 100% sure but I think the things you are trying to get around are disabled in airplay mode. you might be able to mirror but out of the box it wont be as easy to do accomplish what you plan. I find that when I connect my macbook via hdmi the sound doesnt transfer thru my system. It does however if I use airplay. Its weird.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I think airplay varies by app. If you can see the little airplay icon on the app you use to watch video on your mini (iTunes for example), then you will be able to stream the video to your ATV via air play. I use a iPad to stream to the ATV and just about all the video players I use can airplay.

4. linds15 macrumors 6502a

which mac mini do you have? you have to be sure that airplay mirroring is capable on your mac, if it isn't then you need airparrot.
    also, note the difference b/w airplay and airplay mirroring. with airplay, most of those services will not be compatible, but you can airplay mirror, which just reflects (mirrors) your computer screen onto your tv
    personally don't think you'll have a great viewing experience by mirroring all the content you want, but depends what quality level you want/expect

5. helpanoobout thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the newest 2012 Mac Mini so it does support airplay. I'm looking for someone with personal experience with this. Is the quality poor? Because airplay streams whatever is shown on the computer screen, I would assume you could display anything from your computer to your ATV. Just not sure what the quality will be like. When connecting my Mac mini to the TV via an HDMI cable I am incredibly happy with the performance.

6. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

I was curious about this as well. I have xbmc on the mini in the living room and would love to get an ATV3 for the bedroom and just mirror.

7. helpanoobout thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so I bit the bullet and bought an ATV. I tried Hulu and it works perfectly! Streaming from my mac browser to ATV with no lag. I tried XBMC and the video showed up great but I could not get sound. I think I have to tinker with some settings in XBMC but other than that it is looking pretty sweet.

8. 98EXL macrumors regular

I do this all the time in bed with other stuff, but never tried video streaming only because it's kinda silly for what I would be streaming; Netflix, Hulu+ and all of my BDs I put into iTunes.

Main reason being is there has to be some sort of compression in the AirPlay mirroring, versus AirPlay which is lossless.

9. helpanoobout thread starter macrumors newbie

WHat do you mean AirPlay mirroring vs AirPlay??

10. linds15 macrumors 6502a

airplay is clicking on the little logo in apps such as itunes or sites that support it like youtube and such, mirroring is going into the menubar and pressing the airplay logo and selecting airplay mirroring, which mirrors your entirely